Chapter 41

A/N: I'm so sorry for the slow updates people. Hope you enjoy this chapter. Too many feels!

(Akira's pov)

"It was a rainy day. I was standing at the gates of my school, waiting for someone to arrive and pick me up. As I stood there, I observed that all the other children were running into their parents' arms, most of the parents being the children's mothers. It was an absolutely wonderful sight for anyone; to see the way the children rejoiced on seeing their moms waiting for them. But to a motherless eight-year-old, it was the most painful and forlorn thing that one could ever experience. As the wait grew longer, so did my feelings of loneliness. With my green umbrella in one hand and my small backpack, I was almost in tears; but, just then, a man in a navy-blue suit, a red tie and a black overcoat came running towards me. He was drenched from head to toe, and his shoes covered in dirt. He abruptly stopped in front of me, and bent over placing his hands on his knees. Addressing me he said, "Time to go home, dear!"

I turned away from my father, and pouted, "You're late, papa." He laughed, embarrassedly and kneeling down to my level, he said, "I'm sorry. Please forgive your papa just this once." I almost didn't hear him because I was staring at this other girl that was giggling along with her mother. "I'm sorry your mother isn't here kid. But you do know that she's looking after us from up there, right?" he said sounding sad.

"You don't have to be sorry papa. I understand. I love you!" I said and hugged him. He must have been surprised, but then laughed again, "I love you too my precious!"

I don't know why and how, but I never forgot that day. I guess it was when I realised how difficult it my father must have had it...living without my mother. I never got to meet her, only knowing how beautiful she was from her pictures. But my father never let me feel her absence. He used to be very busy and he used to go out of town quite often, but he always made time for his daughter and never let me feel alone.

The first time I found out about him being an intelligence agent was when I was seventeen. I'd been suspecting it for quite some time. He would always be neck-deep in some sort of research papers. I had seen minor bruises on his torso many a times. But I could never gather the courage to ask him about them. But, this once, when he came back covered in injuries, I was extremely worried and practically yelled at him for getting himself hurt. I was obviously told that he was in a traffic accident, but I knew better. So, I questioned him. He was taken aback by my sudden outburst, but felt obliged to answer me. I questioned his reasons for his choice of profession. It did not make any sense to me. Why would you risk your own life for people you don't even know? What did you expect to gain by straining yourself so much? I did not understand at that point, but now I guess I do." I let out a long sigh as I told all this to Jimin. He listened without interrupting me, sometimes giving a small, yet sad smile when I spoke of my father. We were both sitting on a rock nearby the garage, with Jimin on my left.

"Akira?" He waited patiently for me to continue.

"The last time I saw him was almost six years ago; a few months before my training as an agent was over. He'd been away on a mission for three months. It was a long time, but I expected him to be back.....just like all the times before that. He would come back late...but he would always be back no matter what happened. On the day that I was an officially appointed agent, I waited impatiently for him to come back. But this time he didn't. The chief came in and handed me a file that said MIA. I did not want to believe it. But I had to accept it." I said, my voice breaking.

"I'm really sorry you had to go through all that." He said softly and took my left hand in his right, pressing it lightly. I suddenly felt reassured. It felt like the sea of emotions that had flooded my heart and mind, calmed down in an instant.

"You know Jimin...I'm sorry for entangling you in this messy business....but....I'm just really glad you're here." I said tightening my grip on his hand.

"Me too." I was surprised when he said this and turned to face him with my eyes widened. He smiled back at me, which made my heart beat at the speed of light. I could feel his smile come on my lips as I turned the other way. He was the first one to have this effect on me; my only other real friend being Zia. I was about to thank him for putting my mind at ease when I suddenly felt a weight on my left shoulder. I turned my head; ever so slightly; to see that he had fallen asleep on my shoulder, making me smile again. How can a grown man be so adorable? It was weird having these kind of thoughts....almost like they were wrong in this kind of situation. But I just wanted to keep looking at him. Again, it made me think of the violent sea waves that come to an abrupt stop on meeting the shore.

I watched the night turn into day, with Jimin still asleep, his head resting on me. I wished I didn't have to wake him up, but I had to.

"Jimin-ah, wake up!" I snapped my finger in front of his face. He woke up with a start and sat upright trying to make sense of his surroundings.

"What?..." he mumbled rubbing his eyes.

"Time to get ready sleepyhead." I said walking towards the car which Zia and Taehyung were sleeping in.

"Get ready?" Jimin asked.

"Yes, obviously! You don't expect us to roam around in these fancy dresses, everywhere do you?" I rolled my eyes at him, "We had some clothes packed away in the car from Sae Ra-ssi's place, didn't we?"

"Oh right! Of course." He said yawning. I banged the car door loudly to wake those two up. Both of them woke up slowly and unlocked the car doors. I bent over and grabbed the bag in the back to find a normal set of clothes for myself. I walked into the garage to change and Jimin started following me. I stopped midway and he bumped into me. I stared back at him with narrowed eyes. He raised his brows mouthing a 'what'. "Do you want to get kicked in the back and have your limbs broken into teeny tiny pieces early in the morning?"

He jumped asking, "What the heck did I do?"

I waved the clothes in my hands at him with the same narrow eyes expression and he realised I was going to change. "Oh! Sorry..." he said rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly. I turned towards the garage.

"Hey, Akira!"

"What?" I asked turning my head to look at him.

"Glad to have you back!" He went the other way with his hands now reaching for his pockets, while I couldn't help smiling.