Chapter 9

Ocean mist filled the air on Monday morning. The concourses of students filled all of the common areas of the high school. The ride in her father's pickup was as comfortable as a cruise on the river Styx, but she preferred it to the unknown scrutiny that awaited her at school.

"Remember to take to bus straight home. Don't dilly-dally with Kat or anything else; understood?"

"Yes."

She pulled on the handle and slid until her feet hit the pavement. It seemed as though everyone was staring at her; a spectacle like a circus freak. She could almost imagine them talking about her, though she wasn't exactly sure what they would be talking about, except that she was one of two people who should probably be dead right now. The pavement was more inviting than the view, so Lucy dug her eyes into the pebbles and dust and headed to the oak tree.

Kat had been invisible all weekend. She hadn't called or dropped by to see how Lucy was doing, but Lucy was certain that Kat was just giving her space. Mark, on the other hand, had sent thirty texts in the space of two days—everything from asking how she was doing to telling her he wanted to see her. She left them all unanswered; she just didn't know what to say.

At the final moment before reaching the planter, Lucy reached down deep and hauled up enough nerve to look her awaiting party in the eyes. Kat was the only one there. A feeling of relief came over Lucy as her friend greeted her with a hug.

"How're you doing?"

"I can't believe it was two days ago," Lucy said. "It feels like it was just last night."

"I'm sorry, Luce. Is there anything I can do?" Kat rarely sounded so somber.

"No, I'm okay. I just can't get it all out of my head."

"I bet not. That was scary. I was scared to death that ..." Kat took a deep breath and held it for a second. "I thought you were gone, Lucy, I really did." Kat squeezed tighter.

"I did, too."

"I don't get how you guys weren't even scratched. What happened?"

Lucy closed her eyes and in a moment the entire event from impact to the grove and back flashed in her mind and she tried to shake it away. "I don't really want to talk about it, if that's alright."

Kat pulled away and looked Lucy in the eyes. "Of course you don't have to talk about it. What do you want to do?"

"I have to go to class. If I skip anymore, my mom will lose it."

"Okay then, let's go to class." Kat locked her elbow in Lucy's and escorted her away from the oak tree.

Mrs. Roth stood at the front of the room writing on the white board as the first bell rang. The usual seat by the window felt comfortable—at least something did. Looking over at the desk next to her, Lucy saw that it was empty; so, she pulled it closer to herself and decided to recline with her feet up on it until class started.

Lucy closed her eyes and instantly pictured Benjamin's green eyes penetrating the blackness. It was difficult not think of him after the crash. For some reason her mind was conjuring him up regularly, so she wasn't going to fight it. She had to figure out why he was such a constant fixture in her dreams.

As she sat reclined in her two desks with her notebook open on her lap, she sensed someone approach and stand right in front of her.

"Other than by your extremities, is this seat taken?"

Looking up, she observed the reality-based version of her fantastic preoccupation. Benjamin was smiling down at her. She was caught in a dumbfounded stupor for a moment.