Hart of Dixies

Zoe's P.O.V.

My name is Zoe hart. I am a certified doctor and I have had one crazy hectic year. Yesterday I took a cab to my job at one of manhattans best hospitals. Today I'm on a bus to the middle of nowhere. But I guess my journey really began four years ago when I gave commencement address at my medical school graduation. The first time I held a scalpel I was nine. My publicist mother complained I didn't thank her enough in my speech. But there was someone in the crowd who liked it. ( this mystery man approaches me. )

"Dr hart? that was quite a speech. " He says

"Thank you. " I say back not really sure what else to say.

"My name is Dr. Harley Wilkes. I'm from bluebell Alabama I have a small private practice there. It's a great place for a young doctor to hone her craft. I'd like to offer you a job. " He says smiling at me.

"Oh thanks that's really flattering..... but I have a plan. After I finish my surgical residency i'll do a fellowship in thoracics then i'll go on to become a cardio thoracic surgeon like my dad. Our last name's Hart so it's pre-destined. You'd offer is really sweet... thanks though bye. " I say and walk away nicely towards my mother. My mom never wanted me to be a surgeon.

"Congratulation. " My mom says hugging me. She thought the fluorescent lights would give her wrinkles.

"I know you'll be happy following in your fathers footsteps. Can't help but notice he didn't make it. I know that must be disappointing for you. But that's your father always thinking about himself. He wanted to be here but he courtly get out of Germany. Some diplomat needed a peacemaker put in.

"Is that Katie couric? Katie!" she calls after her. Despite moms 'support' I had it all. The most amazing boyfriend who got what it was like to be a surgeon to. The best part was we both were going to do our residence in the hospital where my dad did his. The best city in the world. New York my plan was on track...

Well it's four years later and you know I wouldn't be sitting next to a guy who smells like fake cheese and chum if it had turned out liked I hoped.

First the man I loved dumped me because I liked to talk about surgery more than I liked taking about my day. But my dad taught me that to be a great surgeon you can't let feelings get in the way. So I kept my pain inside. I could because I was a shoo-in for

"What do you mean I didn't get the cardio fellowship? no one wanted this more than I did. I already did a solo coronary bypass!"

"You have the best hands I've seen in thirty years. But if you want to be a heart surgeon then you've got to work on your own. "

"But I do cardio five days a week. "

"Y'know what I'm talking about. Last week you ignored Mrs. Zucker when she asked you to read to her. "

"I'm a surgeon not a librarian. And Nicholas sparks? come on this morning when that guy came in with Horner's syndrome I am the only one who suggested aortic dissection. I saved his life. "

"Yeah but do you know his name?"

"I need to be a cardio thoracic surgeon. What do I need to do to get next years CT spot?"

"You need to learn to see patients as people not help. It puzzled to solve. So if you want my recommendation next year. Spend the next twelve months as a general practitioner."

"First of all diaper rash and diarrhea? ew. Second off all I will never work in a private practice without a specialty. There isn't a single GP job in this whole city."

"That may be true Dr. Hart but there are other places to practice medicine besides New York. "

"No I didn't get the fellowship I know mum thinks its like a sign that I should be a hand model or something. You still believe in me right? I know I just have to figure a few things out first but then look out you're going to have a partner. No I know it's not that easy I- okay I love you dad.