Chapter 32: Kirk

I watched her take every bite. Yes, I felt weird watching her, but at the same time, I couldn't take my eyes off of her. I'm sure she was messing with me.

An innocent virgin was messing with me. The way she spread her lips to engulf her fork made me crazy. I shifted in my seat.

"What's wrong," she asked, noticing my movements.

"Nothing at all."

She smirked and went back to eating. "Herman," I called, her face twisting into puzzlement.

"Yes, sir?"

"Will you please bring Bre a glass of our finest wine?"

She opened her mouth as if she was going to argue, but closed it quickly. What a sweet little girl, she didn't want to tell her host no.

He brought out a glass of red wine, putting the white wine she had previously to shame. Her eyes grew wide as she took in the rich burgundy color. "Kirk, I-"

"Try a sip, sweetheart."

She took a dainty sip. "Oh my. This is much stronger."

I nodded. "It should be. Do you like it?"

She pursed her lips, thinking. "Tell me," I gently asked.

With a look of worry, she spilled it. "No."

She didn't like it? "You don't like it?"

She shook her head. "I'm sorry, Kirk, I don't know why it's-"

"No need to explain," I interrupted, putting my hand on her arm. "It's alright!"

She was so hard on herself. "I'll drink it!"

"Nonsense! Here!"

I took it from her and took a sip. "I'll drink it, darling."

She watched my lips as I placed them exactly where hers were on the rim of the glass. "Red wine is very strong," I reassured. "I didn't like it until I was older."

This seemed to calm her worry. "I guess I'm very picky," she giggled. "At least when it comes to wine."

"That's not a bad thing."

She smiled at me softly as she took a sip of water. She was a masterpiece.