Chapter 27.

^^Me after I read and published this chapter ☕^^

Payton's p.o.v

Tapping my pencil on the desk in anticipation only earns me dirty looks from my peers.

My heart thumping through my chest. My nerves knotted together like one of those impossible knots you learn how to tie in boy scouts.

I need to talk to Mrs.Abel; which comes to me as a surprise considering that when I had the chance to, I never liked it until it was too late.

I raise my hand, asking to use the restroom. Granted permission; I rush out of the classroom fast.

Allowing my feet to take me to the second floor as fast as I'm able to. I squeeze my eyes shut, tapping on the door of her office.

"It's open." He muffled voice carries lightly.

I gingerly open the door, stepping in one cautious foot at a time until I see her looking down at her computer.

"I need your help." I mumble, closing the door and not forgetting to lock it.

She let's out a gasp at the sound of my voice. "You're not supposed to be in here."

"Yes, I know but I'm confused."

She sighs heavily. "What now?"

"Why isn't Maria on this? She invited me to a party and she hangs out with the people involved-"

"Did anything happen to you at the party?"

"Well- no, but it doesn't mean they didn't have something planned."

"Maybe not every one has bad intentions for you?"

"No. I'm pretty sure most of them do and even you know what you just said is complete bullshit."

I shouldn't be bothering her when I'm no longer her responsibility but I'm so desperate that I'll take help from anyone willing to give it to me.

She just happened to be the only one I trust right about now.

Besides August but I doubt he could help me anyway.

Or maybe he can...

****

"So, you genuinely believe that I can be of any assistance to you?" August raises a confused eyebrow.

"Yes, that is exactly what I believe, don't you?"

"What am I supposed to do anyway?"

"You're a lot more friendly than I am so all you have to do is talk to them."

He narrows his eyes. Obviously not understanding my point. Causing me to let out a slightly annoyed huff until I remind myself that him helping me is being done as a favor. He isn't obligated to.

"We'll go over the very important details."

He nods his head. "So are you-"

"I'm going to tell you what to do." I answer his question before he finishes.

"What if I wasn't going to say that?"

"Then I'm sorry and carry on." I chuckle.

He opens the file and glances at me for my permission to look through the papers and other information that has been accumulated.

"I'm confused, how do you even understand this stuff?"

"I don't, that's my problem and that's why I really need your help."