Chapter 35

August's p.o.v

Camila dust off her pants as she walks out of the bathroom. Tilting her leg slightly to look for any lent I'm assuming. I walk towards her direction while she has her head down so she doesn't try to avoid me.

"Ugh- what do you want? If this is about Payton, I've already told you that I don't know anything-"

"No. It's not about her. It's about you."

"What about me?" she rolls her eyes.

"Why was Payton yelling at you?"

"Is that really any of your buisness?" Camila turns to walk the other way.

I nod my head slightly as I walk behind her. I'm not sure if she's done something to Payton or if Payton has done something to her. Either way, I'm going to find out without trying to annoy either of them.

"No, but I do know that she isn't as innocent as she lets on."

"What's that suppose to mean?"

"I don't know yet. Which is why I'm asking you what she's done to you."

I should've assumed that the girl who I repeatedly asked questions in order to help Payton wouldn't want to tell me anything whether it benefits her or not. I wonder is there's anything I can do that'll make her belive I'm not trying to get information out of her in Payton's favor.

"Please tell me." It's really the best way I can think of right now.

Camila rolls her eyes. "It doens't affect me, her, or you in any way. So why is it so important to you?"

"because she's a horrible person and now I understand that. Which is why I only want to know where you're coming from. Since I get that she's twisted in some way, maybe you can tell me why you did what you did and it'll help you and probably everyone else who has been painted as a bad person in this situation."

I see Camila let out a long, visible sigh before she turns to me. Her shoulders untense and if I didn't think she was scared I'd believe she would tell me something.

"How do I know you're not trying to sabotage me?"

"I don't do that." I admit honestly.

she raises an eyebrow, not pleased by my answer.

"What've you ever done to me that would make me want to sabotage you. People do things for a reason you know."

The look in her eyes harden. I can tell that she's having a hard time believing what I'm saying, but a part of her wants to let it off of her chest. I don't get what she's so afraid of. She isn't hurting herself either way, she isn't hurting anyone.

Camila catches me off guard when she grabs my wrist and leads me outside through the back doors of the school.

"Either you're going to tell me or you're going to get someone to kill me?" I raise a skeptical eyebrow.

"What is it with you and death? I'm going to tell you, and if you tell anyone I swear that I will make you more miserable than Payton has ever made anyone she's ever came across."

I absentmindely nod my head, barely focusing on her words. She looks way better up close.

"Did you hear me?"

"I'm sorry, what?"

Camila glares at me. "I said I'm going to tell you, but if you tell anyone I will make you miserable."

"I'm not- scared of you. I mean, maybe I would be if you were ugly or something, or known for being mean, but I'm just not-"

Camila shakes her head, before sitting her booksack down and sitting beside it. I take this as my cue to sit beside her on the stairs.