The New Life

On a December just before Christmas, when Nakiri Mansion is at the busiest time of the year, it's definitely not a good luck for her to be the one who gets the door and finds Eishi standing behind it.

She's available, and so is he. He wants her back, and will do whatever it takes to keep them together. But getting back with Eishi means taking the easy way out just like she did in high school to bury her pain over Sōma-- it was unfair, to Eishi and herself. Yes, she ended up falling for Eishi, and it saddened her when she lost him, but now when she's gazing into his grey eyes as he holds her hand close to his chest, the feeling is absent on her side.

When Erina refuses, Eishi understands, and they part with a friendly hug. Not sure if she thinks she's made the wrong call or because she finds herself alone again in a cold winter night, she cries herself to sleep that night.

But for Nakiri Erina, a bad thing comes with a hundred good ones.

At least her new assistant for the past two years can keep up with her workload-- as expected, because if someone were to take Hisako's place, she'd have to be a pro and qualified assistant. From dealing with potential clients, organizing her schedules, managing her social calendar (it would most likely be Alice, who's already back in Japan, who filled the spot in), everything is taken care well as if she's never left.

"The marble floor you requested has been delivered to Exposé, Erina-sama. Would you like me to arrange your schedule so you can take a look?"

"That would be perfect. I'm glad my own haute cuisine place is finally coming together after months." Erina smiles in satisfaction behind her MacBook air..

"I'm excited for you as well, Erina-sama." She bows politely, "And it is almost time of the month to submit your restaurant critic column for Bon Appétit magazine."

"I'm working on it. Thank you for reminding me."

"And Alice-sama would like to see you for brunch at The Cattleman's Table tomorrow."

Oh, here we go again.

~

"Seriously, Erina. How long have you been single?" Her cousin investigates as usual after catching her up with the whole Eishi situation, pointing her fork at her, "Let me set you up on a blind date. I know this incredibly cute guy--"

"Alice, I appreciate the offer, but I really am not looking for a man."

The white-haired girl observes her, "Are you not over the fact that Yukihira-kun is still with Megumi-chan?"

"Wha--What?! T-There's absolutely no reason to be over him! I-I mean, we-- we never have anything between us other than Elite Ten businesses!"

Alice rolls her eyes, digging back into her chicken caesar salad. "Wow."

"What?"

"It's been a few years since we graduated. Yet your reaction is no different when we talked about him in our freshmen year."

Seeing no way to counter the argument, Erina cuts more frittata into her mouth, "Whatever, Alice. I'm done talking about this."

"Just reminding you I'm no fool, Erina. But suit yourself." She winks, "Anyway, you're coming to the reunion next Friday, right? The whole gang plus Isshiki-senpai and some other will be there."

"I... can't"

"What? Why, Erina?! Don't tell me it's because Yukihira-kun will be there too!"

Perhaps. "No. It's-- Exposé needs my attention. We want to prepare the menu for the opening night."

"You know the whole group chat have been looking for you, right? You even barely chime in."

"Well... I've been busy, Alice. I'm sure you are too with your molecular gastronomy research facility in Kyoto." The blonde shrugs, "Besides, we will see Yoshino-san soon once she's out of the kitchen."

"Mou! You and your excuses." Alice pouts.

Later when Yuuki arrives at their table, a conversation about their other friends come up. From Sadatsuka Nao's road to finally find Jesus to Ryo's viral pop-up seafood restaurant in Copenhagen, but of all the stories that's told, she wonders why the redhead doesn't come up. And she catches herself wondering what he's been up to.