Ancient History

"I don't care how unpleasant it is. You have to tell him!" Aki exclaimed, frowning.

"I will! Just not now... I can't tell him right before the match! That will completely destroy him!" I said.

"All right, if you won't, then I will!" Aki got up and started walking towards Kazemaru.

"Aki, stop!" I yelled. Paying no attention, Aki continued walking. She went to Kazemaru "Kazemaru-kun, there's something Y/N-chan would like to tell you something."

"What is it?" Kazemaru asked, turning towards me.

I sighed and told him everything ...

It was evening. Seven year old Kazemaru and six year old Y/N were playing by the riverbank.

"Promise me that we'll always be friends, L/N!" Kazemaru said "Even after I move away next week!"

"I promise, Kazemaru!" Y/N said. "But you have to promise to come back one day!"

"I promise too!" Kazemaru exclaimed.

But the next day, Kazemaru didn't show up in school. Or the day after that. Or the day after that.

Y/N's parents refused to talk about it. Two-three days later; the day Kazemaru's family was supposed to move away, Y/N went to his house, only to be greeted by a shocking news.

Kazemaru had had an accident. He was in a coma.

Y/N's family visited him every day in the hospital.

Then one day, the doctor said there was a way to save his life, but all his memories would be erased. Kazemaru's parents were devastated, but told the doctor to go ahead.

Kazemaru was saved, and he miraculously remembered his parents, and his family. But infortunately, not Y/N. After that, Kazemaru's family had to move away, and Y/N thought it would be the last she would ever see of him. But she was wrong. Quite wrong...

Kazemaru blinked "Wow." He said "That's a lot to take in." He rubbed his eyes "I guess that would explain the gray, fuzzy dreams I keep having."

"Are you sure you can play the match now?" I asked.

"Sure I can. There's no problem." Kazemaru said "We'll talk about this later."

"So you guys were childhood sweethearts?" Otonashi Haruna said disbelievingly.

Haruna had unfortunately overheard our conversation, and was pestering me with questions now.

"Well, I wouldn't-"

"This is great material! Thanks, Y/N!" Haruna interrupted .

"What the-! You can't publish this, Haruna! We had a deal!"

"I was kidding!" Haruna laughed.

"I just wish he can focus on the match now."

"Right... And so, how did you finally get eleven players anyway?"

"Well, we got this creepy dude named Kageno, this guy named Matsuno, and there's Kazemaru, and at the last moment someone named Megane showed up."

"How confident are you feeling about the match? I need a good answer, this is going into the newspaper."

"Well, our chances of winning are pretty slim, but I believe that-"

"Great! That's it! See you soon, Y/N!" Haruna said and got up, looking tense all of a sudden. "I'll talk to you later, okay?"

"Okay..." I said and waved at her.

What's up with her now?