Rai-Rai Noodles

"What? No! We can't do that! It's too dangerous!" It was Aki speaking to me.

"But we can't let the team down either. They've been waiting for another friendly ever since the match with Teikoku.

"Occult Junior High is too creepy... rumour has it that it puts a curse on other soccer teams!"

"Trust me-we can handle it." Saying so, I pulled Aki with me to the clubroom. It had almost been a month since Teikoku Academy had forfeited that match. It all seemed a blurry dream now.

"Guys..." Aki said 'We have an announcement."

"Gouenji agreed to join the team?" Endou asked hopefully.

"No... but you have a friendly match with Occult Junior High next week."

"What, really? That means we can use the school pitch for training now?"

"Absolutely not. Just who do you think you are? Can you really call this a clubroom?" A voice said from behind. It was Raimon Natsumi (Nelly Raimon), the governor's daughter.

"Grrr... her again..." Someoka muttered.

"Oh, hey! It's you, Natsumi! Listen, can you wait outside?" I said and pushed Natsumi outside.

"Team," I muttered. "You have to show that spoiled rich girl who's the boss. You can't lose this match. You cannot afford to."

Saying so, I brought Natsumi inside again. "So..." I said 'You were saying?"

Nastumi glared at me. "You know I can have you expelled, right? Err... what was your name again?"

I shook my head. "(L/N)" I muttered.

"All right." Turning to the rest, Natsumi said. "If Raimon loses against Occult, then down with the soccer club. I heard that you want to register for the Soccer Frontier this year. You may forget that goal. It all comes down to whether you win your next match or not."

"Of course we will!" Endou shrieked. "Just who do you think you are?"

Natsumi smirked. "I don't think. I know that I am the Chairman's daughter and the student council president. If you know what's good for you, you won't talk back."

Within minutes, she had left the clubroom.

Endou was seething. "Come on, guys! Let's practice at the riverbank!" He cried, pumping his fist in the air.

"Yeah...woo..." came a few unenthusiastic replies. Only Someoka seemed fired up. "Let's go, team!' He shrieked. "I need to do my role as Raimon's ace too!"

The team exited the clubroom. Only Aki and I remained. "Think they'll be all right?" I asked.

Aki shrugged. "They've gone through worse times."

"Cool. Bye. I am going to go shopping."

"Okay. Buy some more energy drinks too."

"I will."

So I went to the Market Square, and after my shopping spree, I entered a ramen shop, completely exhausted. I saw an old man wearing dark glasses sitting behind the counter. He wore a black apron over his clothes. He was serving a cup of ramen to a boy of my age.

I peered closely at the boy. It was Gouenji!

"Hey." I said.

"Hey." He replied.

"Why aren't you training with everyone?"

"I don't play soccer anymore. The Teikoku match was a fling."

"Well, you do love soccer, don't you?"

"Maybe I do."

"You know...my father is a journalist."

"What about it?"

"I know about last year's accident. Your sister is in the hospital, right? I found out about it just yesterday."

Gouenji shot me a look. "Did you tell anyone?"

"No. I respect your privacy. But that's not why I am talking to you. You enjoy playing soccer, but don't play. Would your sister want you to be miserable like this? She would want you to be happy."

"Goodbye, (Y/N)."

"Wait, did you just call me by my first name? How indecent!"

"Goodbye."

He left the shop without touching his ramen.

"You are quite persuasive." The old man behind the counter said. "Drop by Rai-Rai Noodles anytime you can."

"Sure." I replied and left the shop.