· 06

···

06 · OFF-PARTY MOOD

06 · OFF-PARTY MOOD

···

FORGET THE TRACKER, JUST FOCUS ON THE PARTY, Veronica thought as she located the pearl tracker in Peter's backpack. She continued to bite her nails as she saw it moving frantically all around Queens.

Stupid locator. It kept malfunctioning and showing on her phone that it was jumping between buildings. When she got it back, she probably would think about smashing it under her heel.

It was getting dark as she waited at Liz's house for the guests to arrive. Betty was there and already stealing beers from the many packs being brought overtk the tables, not even bothering to pour into red cups to hide the fact she was drinking.

Earlier she was busy moving in tons of different drinks (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic) onto the island in the kitchen and the food. Veronica wanted to have more than just pizza but apparently public high school parties didn't include snake-bile wine and beer bread. She decided that whatever Liz decided on was best, then would try to build from there.

Liz also said no to the chandelier renting.

"This place looks great," Liz complimented. "But.... why do you have gift cards as party favors?"

"Is it too much? Fine, I'll just give it to you, then," Veronica sighed.

"Why is there like a thingie next to you?"

"It's a loud speaker. Just in case I need to yell at Thompson about how shitty his music taste is but I'm far away."

"Um... I mean, I guess. Please make sure that nothing breaks. You know how my parents get."

"No problem. Your dad's got an iron grip. But I love him. So yeah, I'll be right back, I need to cancel the flower arrangements I wanted to give to your parents."

"You ordered flowers?" Liz exclaimed, but Veronica was already out the door to clean up the mistake.

She ran out of Liz's house and pushed the incoming person in the other direction. "No, get out! I did too much! Get out, get out! Ugh, apparently flowers aren't part of parties either! They have absolutely no style!"

Once she finally was able to get the delivery man out of the porch, Michelle walked over and folded her arms across her chest and stared at Veronica. She observed her up and down and laughed.

Veronica rubbed her temples and heaved a heavy sigh. "What do you want, Michelle?"

"Food, duh," Michelle scoffed.

She was dealing with another loser. She was itching to say something nasty, but bit back her tongue and spat out, "Why are you here so early?"

"Huh. Just realized. I didn't know plants could talk."