Chapter 2

I whipped up sweaty and face red. "It was just a dream." I repeated to myself. I wiped my eyes and took a breath "imagine two 16 year olds getting married." I had to giggle at that. I always did laugh at it. Lance had no idea what would happen a whole two moths later...
  My name is Keith, Keith Kogane. I was 17 years old when the accident happened. The day my life changed.
  Everyone knows I need space, so they never call, or text, or even visit. They know something I don't, it bothers me. I've tried picking up the phone but my insides twist and i just wanna throw up. I was never good at social life I pent up my feelings as much as I could. My mom tried telling me he's ok and that he's in a better place.Although I could never bring myself to believe he's,well that lance is gone.
"Darling I made dinner if you want some." My mothers voice carried through the door, breaking my thoughts. To be honest I really wasn't hungry and the fact I hadn't eaten anything but snacks worried my mom.
"I'll be down in a little." I replied as I finished up my homework. Yes I know what you're thinking, homework ew! Hey I'm not complaining it's getting me into college. I was told I had to go to summer school or have drop out on my record. Mom didn't flow that way and sent me off to summer school.
I closed my algebra book and rolled across my room, until I hit a part of my carpet and was sent flying into my door. This caused a chain reaction of my books to start to fall,and hit a small picture frame that I don't remember having. I pushed it off and stood up and opened the door.
"Took you long enough good god!" Lance almost shouted his arms crossed. "I though you jumped out the window." He chuckled grabbing my hand,before I shook my head and dried my eyes.
"Now I'm seeing things." I mumbled using the banister to slide down.
"Keith Michel Kogane how many times do I have to tell you?!" I imagined mom shouting at me waving a spoon around in frustration. Instead she just gave me a warm welcoming smile. "How are you doing?" She asked pulling out a stool.
"Okay I guess." I pulled a smile out of my closet. "Where is dad?" I dared to ask causing my mom to tense up.
"He's.. he's ." She played with her food a little. "He's, at work, he had another late night." She gave a small smile covering the lie.
"What's the truth mom. We all know where he really is, starting a fight,getting drunk." I scowled picking at the mac and cheese.
"Keith, are you serious?" She said I could hear the anger in her voice "he tries okay? He goes to his AA meetings. He's trying to change, and yes he actually is at work." She was now looking at me. I looked at at her, and she placed her hand on my shoulder. My mothers face turned back to the same soft hearted smile. I threw myself onto her and hugged her. I couldn't hold it in anymore. I sobbed into her shoulder as she rubbed my back.
"It's ok honey. It's gonna be alright." She hummed as she held me. Her voice wavy and holding back her own tears.
  After dinner I helped mom put away the left overs and wash the dishes.
She returned the smile and set down my plate then sat down at hers.