Chapter 21

Valarie's POV

Stress has been eating me alive. I'm expanding my trade and with two children that is nearly impossible.

"That's not what I said!" I yell at the construction workers.

"You said you want your post facing the water."

"Wrong! I said I wanted the front of my house faced away from the water so I could watch as the tide brought the people in." I repeat. Dammit how hard is it?! Fuck. Elizabeth comes to me with a document.

"Dinner invitations, from the wives of wealth traders on the island." She tells me.

"Tell them I'll be happy to meet them."

I turn back to the workers. "I want the front and the back made from glass. The special glass that only allows me to see them and them not to see me. I want the gate attached to my house. I want the gate to be made of impenetrable rock and believe me I will try to break it. And I want this finished soon."

"Yes ma'am." He tells me then leaves.

I sigh and now I hear my twins crying. Fuck. I go upstairs and take them in my arms. I rock them back to sleep and return to my study.

"Valarie." Mother calls sweetly. I always was her favorite. She never called me like I was a bother.

"Come in."

She enters and takes a seat at my table. "I heard you yelling at that poor man."

"He wasn't doing his job right." I snap.

She frowns and stands. She walks over to me and massages my neck. "You are too tense dear."

I admit her hands feel great. "It's a lot going on Mother."

"I know I know, but what have I always taught you, lock your feelings away."

I sigh closing my eyes as she massages me.

"Why are you making your second location so expensive and fancy?"

"Because, this location won't be dealing with pirates. I was thinking about going legal for this trading post."

Mother hums. "Ok. That's not a bad idea. They want the same thing you sell to the Pirates."

I nod.

"How long before it's ready?"

"Six months because I'm driving them crazy." I chuckle.

"And who do you plan on running the second post?"

"I was thinking with you. You know the business. You know how I run things."

"Oh dear that's is a great thought but I respectfully decline."

"Why?"

"Because my place is here with you. You can barely take care of the twins."

I sigh.

"You need someone gullible to run the post but completely loyal to you." She tells me.

I nod.

"Come your brothers should be back."

I get up and go get my twins. My babies are beautiful. The already have curly hair and their skin is beginning to brown. My daughter has a mole on her eyebrow like I do and my son has two moles on his neck. I pick up my babies and kisses them. I bring them outside and we go to the docks.

Mother takes my daughter and we greet my brothers.

We waste no time and go to my meeting room. I give mother my kids.