Tyler

Tyler

    When I push the door open for the thirty-fourth night, the bell above chimes and my eyes immediately search the entire café for Skye. I frown, realising that she probably hasn't arrived yet. However my mind begins to contemplate all sorts of things. What if something happened to her? What if that monster hurt her again? What if she stopped coming because of me?

    I order my coffee and take the seat one table away from where she sits. Ogling at the unoccupied corner, I close my eyes and imagine the wavy strands of hair cascade down the sides of her face, while she sits there lost in her thoughts.

    After two hours of waiting for her to show up, I get a gut feeling that something is terribly wrong. Not wasting another minute, I scurry out of the café and begin my search for her. I glance from left to right, thinking which way I should go first when a familiar hooded figure catches my attention. My mouth goes agape, and my breathing fastens, as I sprint across the road to the building opposite from the café. I knock the first door open, before hurrying up flights of stairs.

   The door to the roof is shut, but I kick it open and when I see Skye standing ever so close to the edge, it stabs me in the chest like a sharp knife. My blood turns cold, and my eyes enlarge.

    "Skye!" I yell, hoping that she gets off before something serious happens. "What are you doing? Please come down." I beg.

    "Leave me alone, Tyler." She croaks. "Take one more step closer, and I swear I'll jump."

    "Suicide isn't the answer!"

    "I need to disappear, I should be dead! She should be alive, but instead I am! I can't take this anymore, this is the only way it'll stop. It's the only way I'll be free."

    "Skye." I breath out. "Please."

    "I’m worthless!" She breaks down into sobs. "I mean nothing to anyone and I'm better off dead."

    "You're wrong, because you mean everything to me!"

    Abruptly she pauses, and closes her eyes tightly, as another soft sob escapes from her chapped lips. She reopens them gradually, before staring up at the starry sky, probably pondering my words in her head over and over again, knowing that they were the truth. I unhurriedly reach out for her hand, surprised when she laces her trembling, icy fingers with mine, yet I feel calm by the small gesture. I track her gaze, and see that the luminous, twinkling stars are glowing with hope in the dimness of the night, promising that there is always hope, in the midst of despair. Always. And right now, I hope that, that one sentence was enough to save her.