Epilogue

Epilogue

One Year Later

Methodically, I grasp onto the railing with both hands, while I cautiously fit my legs through so that they're dangling off from the edge. This railing wasn't here a year ago. A year. A lot as well as very little can happen in the space of a year.

Intensely inhaling the icy breeze, I slowly exhale, watching the warm smoke escape from my mouth. It swivels around me in effortless curls, but soon vanishes into the air of the frosty night.

I glimpse down at the desolate street beneath me, watching the powdery flakes settle onto the concrete ground, creating a renewed carpet of glistening snow. The snowflakes, silver and dark, twirl from the night sky, and purposely conceal the footprints that were imprinted hours ago. It cascades onto the naked trees, soon covering the green leaves. I place my hand out, and I watch the flakes delicately land onto my hand, eventually losing its form and evaporating into water. A crispy crunching sound from behind me becomes more distinct with each crunch, gradually making me turn my head around.

"Skye," he breathes out, offering a warm smile. "I knew you'd be here, I quickly nipped to the shop and got your favourite." He holds out the two beverages.

With every word that rolls off his lips, thick, white smoke follows. He bends down, and hands me one of the coffees before approaching the vacant space beside me. He judiciously puts one leg through the railing, before putting the other. Now both of his legs are dangling off the edge of the building. Just the way mine are.

"Thank you." I glance at him.

"You're welcome, baby." He speaks before taking a short sip. "How did your session with Natalie go?"

"Not that bad I suppose," I answer truthfully. "I told her about you."

"What did you say?" He winked, as he nudges me on my arm playfully.

"You know, just stuff." I smile.

"Stuff?" He lets out a deep chuckle.

"Stuff."

His laughter warms me in a way that my jacket couldn't. I glance at him and grin goofily, remembering how today marks our one year of solid friendship. My smile widens.

"What are you smiling about?" He questions, making me blush furiously.

He scoots closer, and wraps his arm around my waist.

"You,"

"Really?" He says, sounding a little bit out of breath.

"Mhm." I respond, unable to force out any words.

My stare jumps around his face and lastly settles on his lips. An unexpected groan escapes from the back of his throat. "Skye, I've been meaning to ask you something important," he says, his lips inching agonisingly closer with each word. "But first I'm going to kiss you."

My mouth opens, but before I can respond his lips are on mine. Our lips mould together seamlessly, making me melt into it straight away. Our lips begin to move in sync, gently, yet captivatingly. Instinctively, my right hand scopes up to cup his face, as I try my best to keep up with his rhythm. One of his hand glides down my body and relaxes on my lower back, and he draws me closer to him. His tender touch sends sparks throughout my body, as I thread my fingers through his hair. I feel him slowing down, and soon we pull away. Our short, ragged breaths bring a fiery heat amongst the freezing, winter air.

"Will you be my girlfriend?" He presses his forehead against mine.

"I'd love to be your girlfriend, Tyler." I return breathlessly.