prologue

a breath of freedom

Beatrice Greengrass was in a state of ecstasy. She'd awaited this day for what seemed to be her entire life and now here she was, standing before the stunning steam train known as the Hogwarts Express.

Of course she kept her face a mask of cool consideration accompanied with a slight aire of boredom, exactly as her parents expected her to.

Her parents: Camilla and Rodriguez Greengrass were workers in the department of regulation and control of magical creatures. They were also the reason why she was sporting the most formal outfit she could spot amongst the bustling crowd of platform nine and three quarters. She felt so dull.

Yells, and hurried goodbyes mixed with chimes of laughter and cries of mischief along the platform as students rushed around creating chaos. Her parents stalked behind her, heads held high and proudly. Beatrice stuck out like a sore thumb, but her parents were convinced that the navy pleated skirt, itchy knee high socks and ironed blouse were the key to making friends. Beatrice, on the other hand had her doubts.

"Remember to be good," her mother said sharply, "and don't mix with the wrong sorts of people her father added.

The wrong sorts of people. Beatrice knew precisely what that meant: Don't consult with anybody inferior to you: half-bloods, mudbloods, muggle sympathisers and half-breeds.

"Don't worry, I won't." She said. She could feel her mother's lips tug into a cold smile behind her. "Good. And remember we're expecting top grades."

Beatrice nodded keeping her eyes fixed on the steam train before her. Just a few more minutes and she'd be away. She heard her parents walking to stand in front of her, staring her in the eye. She raised her eyebrows slightly in question.

Her father spoke first. "Remember, you've already spoken to Leta Lestrange in the year above you. She seems sensible." Leta Lestrange, the prissy second year Slytherin Beatrice had met over the Summer. Like hell would she even speak to her again if she could help it.

Her parents didn't need to mention that they were expecting her to be Slytherin. That much was obvious from the way they had painted her room a few weeks ago. They believed that Leta Lestrange was the perfect role model for her. She nodded again.

"Have a good year," her mother said before turning her back and striding away, her father close behind leaving Beatrice standing alone on the platform. She exhaled heavily.

Freedom.

Prologue done! Newt will be coming in the next chapter. I couldn't find any information on Leta's house so I assumed she'd be a Slytherin. Vote and comment if you enjoyed the prologue. Thanks for reading! Baiiii