Chapter 6 - Montgomery Bennett

I know it's been forever. Thank you for being patient. Without getting too into everything, let's just say Summer 2017 hasn't been as kind as I'd hoped. But things are on the upswing. Love you all to bits and pieces 

6 – Montgomery Bennett

Caty only yelled at me for three minutes until she looked up through the glass windows of the diner and saw Cole waving from the driver's seat of his tow truck. He gave her a wink and she stopped yelling, but punished me by giving me an extra section of tables to wait on all night.

It wasn't terrible, but the diner was busy enough for Caty to ask me to stay to help clean up. I turned on Maybellene by Chuck Berry on the juke box as I wiped down tables and danced along as I cleaned. I got lost in my song and cleaning and dancing and singing that I didn't even hear the jingle from the door when Cole walked in. What alerted me to his presence was his chuckle as he sat at the counter. Scared, I jumped and he laughed again.

"Don't stop on account of me, darlin'," he said.

"I'm sorry, Caty asked me to stay and help clean up. It'll be a while longer. I take it my car is fucked?" I asked.

"We'll talk about it when you're off. I don't mind waiting," Cole said, taking a seat at one of the barstools.

"We're closed! Montgomery, I thought I asked you to lock the door and flip the sign!" Caty screeched from the back, making her way to the counter before freezing when she saw it was Cole.

"Oh, Cole! Hi, I'm really sorry but we're closed!" she smiled sweetly and tried to subtly put her chest out.

"It's cool, I know. I'm just waiting on Monty. Is it okay if I sit here while she finishes her shift?" Cole asked Caty, flashing her his signature smile that made her soften.

"Oh, yeah, I suppose so," Caty's face turned a violent shade of red. I rolled my eyes and continued cleaning as Caty drooled over Cole and pushed her tits up against the counter.

"Caty, I've mopped down all the booths, cleaned all the tables, balanced the cash register, and put away the pies, am I good to go? I really don't want to make Cole wait any longer than he has to," I said.

"I supposed, but I'm going to need you back here tomorrow same time. Expect to stay late," she said snarkily.

"Okay, thanks," I replied, grabbing my things and meeting Cole by the door.

"Ready to go, princess?" he asked, placing a hand on the small of my back momentarily as he held the door open for me.

"See you around, Cole!" Caty called. Cole didn't reply, just followed me out the door and led me to his shiny Corvette.

"What, no tow truck?" I asked.

"I'm off the clock," he said, opening the Corvette door for me. I hopped in and he shut it behind me. He hopped in the driver's side and put his arm around the back of my headrest as he looked behind to back out the car.

"So...my car?" I asked.

"It's not pretty, Monty," he said, "The parts alone are astronomical. You would have to drive a thirty year old foreign made car." I sighed, rubbing my temple. I was getting a headache.

"How much?" I asked.

"Monty...," he trailed off.

"Cole, how much?" I asked.

"We're looking at two to three thousand. Not including labor. That is if I can even find the parts," he said.

"Fuck!" I said, tears welling up in my eyes. I couldn't afford that. I was still in debt from the last year of failed dreams.

"Monty, I think it's time to ask yourself if it's really worth it. Even if your car was in prime condition, I don't think you could sell it for much more than three thousand, are you sure you want to put that much into it?" he asked.

"It is worth it though, it's worth it to me. I know you don't get it, but it's worth it, just trust me. I'll find a way to pay you. Can you just keep it at the shop until it's fixed? I can't afford to pay you to tow it back home right now." The hot tears in my eyes spilled out and down my cheeks and I quickly wiped them away, not wanting to get emotional in front of Cole. I barely knew him and he was already doing me a huge favor by driving me home from work.

"Of course. Don't worry about it. I'll start looking for parts. We'll figure something out," he said, placing his hand on my thigh, and rubbing gently with his thumb, trying to be soothing while he kept driving.

"I'm sorry," I said.

"No, you're fine, Monty. I get it," he said, "Do you have a way to work tomorrow?"

"I'll figure something out," I said.

"Is your shift at the same time as today?" he asked.

"Yeah," I said.

"I'll pick you up before your shift and after we can discuss how we'll settle up, okay?" he asked.

"I can find a ride, Cole, you don't have--," I started.

"Montgomery, I'm picking you up," he cut me off, pulling in my driveway.

"Okay," I nodded getting out of his car. He stayed in the driveway until he knew I got into the house safely, and I was left with the feeling that I was getting more than I bargained for when I called Cole to come tow me, leaving me wondering if this was something I could afford.

N