On The Staircase

*************

hmm, also not very good, i apologise.

by now if you've read up to here, you might have noticed there is sort of a similar theme running thorugh these short scenes.  this is because I was trying to start a story, and was approaching it from very different ways. anyway, thanks for reading!

After a considerable amount of time spent pulling my hair out in order to find a way to describe exactly how I felt the day my perspective on just about everything changed, I have now decided that what I am trying to do is completely impossible.  Of course, as most people feel when meeting  a new person, I was excited but also broken down with nervousness.  But something was different about meeting this particular person.  Firstly, because the girl I was meeting was not only from another country, she was from the other side of the planet, and secondly, because I was going to be meeting her in my tweetie bird pyjamas. I’d better explain...

“Stop pinching me!”Whined Alex in an annoyed tone. We were sitting on the bottom step of our stair case waiting for the arrival of our new guest.  My mom had left my two brothers and I with Steph, the babysitter while she went to the airport to pick her up.  

I was awake.   Luckily, I’m pretty good at pretending to sleep, and that was how I’d been avoiding my brothers for the past half an hour. You can’t annoy someone if they are asleep.  While I’m pretending to appear tierd, Steph is curled up on the couch.  If you were a thief, and you entered our house at that moment, when you saw Steph, you would think that she hadn’t slept in days.  Her eyes were baggy, puffy and red, and her formal clothes were crumpled  up from lying on the couch for so long.  Her hair didn’t exactly look like she’d just come from a fashion parade either.  It had been tied up in a neat bun earlier, but after when she had lied down it had become quite messy. Every now and then, Steph would drift off to sleep, leaving Alex defenceless against tom.

A noise came from the door, and I opened my eyes to see the door handle turning. A soft murmur and the jingling of keys was all it took to make me get up. Alex and Tom miraculously stopped fighting and both gazed at the door. Both were trying to look casual, but i knew they were nervous, because once they start an argument, it takes a lot to make them stop.  I glanced at my reflection in the oven and made sure I looked presentable.  Immediately I started fiddling with my hair. My little sister Gabby stood beside me and grabbed my hand. She looked up at me with soft brown eyes and smiled at me.  I know I shouldn’t be nervous but I am.