Chapter One: Fallen Down

(Frisk's POV)

I woke up, and my head was pounding. Where was I? I didn't remember anything. I was laying down in a soft patch of golden flowers, in a room with purple walls. For some reason, it seemed familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Walking down the purple hall, my footsteps echoed. I walked through puzzle after puzzle, completing each one without flaw. It was as if I had done them before, but wouldn't I remember that?

I finally got to a purple room that didn't involve hidden switches or talking rocks, but there was two ways to go. Looking back, sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I had just went forward without hesitation. But I went up instead.

There was a bare tree, red fallen leaves surrounding the dark trunk of the tree. I walked past the tree, seeing a large house with two sets of steps. I knew I'd seen this place before, but my memory was hazy.

I knocked on the door, and I heard a female voice from the inside.

"I'll get it!" she exclaimed, and eventually she came to the door and opened it. Her eyes went wide for a moment, and she gasped.

"Is that really you...?" she asked, covering a white goat hand over her mouth. She was tearing up, and she quickly knelled down and pulled me into a hug. She smelled familiar, a mixture of cinnamon and butterscotch.

"Toriel...?" the name just popped into my head, and she pulled away, grinning and crying tears of joy.

"Yes my child?" she asked, awaiting a question. Seeing her face, all the memories came flooding back. All my friends, enemies, and "battles" down here in the underground.

"How have you been?" I asked simply, and Toriel stood up, wiping tears from her eyes.

"It's been...nice. Thank you for asking, Frisk. Would you like to come in?" she asked, holding open the door. I was excited to see all my other friends, but it wouldn't be fair to Toriel to leave so soon.

"Of course!" I exclaimed, running inside quickly. I jumped up onto her armchair by the fire, and Toriel laughed. She gestured for me to wait there, and left the room. She came back holding the hand of Asriel, dragging him into the room with his eyes closed.

"You may look now!" she said dramatically, and Asriel's eyes fluttered open. They immediately widened, and he grinned.

"Frisk!" he shouted, running and jumping on me, hugging my tightly. I hugged him back, so happy to see him again.

"Mom, can I go play with Frisk in my room?!" he exclaimed, and his mother laughed.

"Frisk, is that okay with you?" Toriel asked, and I laughed.

"It always is!" I said, and Asriel jumped up and down with excitement. He dragged me to his room, and we played for hours. I didn't even realize how fast the time went by until Toriel came into his room.

"You should sleep here tonight, my child." Toriel said, and I nodded. She gave me a slice of Butterscotch Cinnamon Pie and sent me to my old room. She sat at the edge of my bed while I ate the pie after already having put Asriel to bed.

"You kept my room?" I asked, and Toriel nodded.

"I always knew you would come back to visit. I wanted to be ready for when that day came." Toriel said, and I smiled.

"Actually...I don't think I'm just visiting! I think I'm staying!" I chirped, and Toriel looked at me with wide eyes.

"My child...I thought you had somewhere you had to stay...had to live!" she exclaimed, shocked, and my smile dropped. I didn't want to think about it...what had happened in my life above the ground.

"I know...but things have changed." I said dramatically, and I struggled to hold back tears, and as I looked up through watery eyes, Toriel looked worried.

"What happened Frisk? You can tell me anything..." she said, and I sniffled, a weak smile forming on my face.

"Spare me your pity. I'm fine Toriel, really." I said, giving a weak chuckle at my bad joke, but Toriel didn't even crack a smile. At least, not a real one. I could tell the smile she was wearing was fake, but I didn't say anything.

"Are you sure, my child? You can tell me whatever you want." Toriel insisted but I just shook my head sadly.

"Toriel, I know you care about me, but please, I'm okay." I lied, and Toriel sighed.

"Okay. But...just now...I'm always here. Goodnight, my child." Toriel said, and before I could say a word, she left.

My soul, my heart, felt...heavy. I so wanted to tell Toriel what had happened, but it wasn't her problem. I shouldn't have to worry her with the problems from above ground.

But...the truth was...I was dying to tell her what had happened. I knew from the beginning that when we had finally made it to the surface, I should've stayed with her. But I had to try and not give up hope...I had to stay determined.

My parents, they were both sick. They had been when I fell into the underground. I was running away from my fear, my problems, my worries. I ended up making new friends, and almost forgetting what had gone wrong. But then, when I went back I found out some bad news.

They weren't getting better.

It was stupid of me to think that somehow, I was helping. That somehow, I was doing something right. By sparing all the monsters of the underground, I thought I was earning my parent's health back in some way. In some way, I felt like I was fixing their souls by fixing the monster's souls as well.

I had been above ground for a week until...until it all went downhill. It went wrong. They died. I was alone, or at least, I thought I was alone. Until I remembered the underground, all the friends I had made, all the people that might make me feel better. I came back to help myself, which was selfish of me, but I had to feel better.

Plus, I never really felt at home above ground. This was my true home. Among friends and monsters, I was happy. And I had to bring that happiness back.

I rolled over, closed my eyes, and fell asleep.

****************************************************************************************************

I was woken up by the smell of Butterscotch Cinnamon pie, only to find a slice of it on the floor of my room. Right beside it sat a note, in Toriel's familiar handwriting.

"We're leaving the ruins for a day, I thought you might want to go see some old friends! Plus, I think Sans really wants to see you again! ;) Our home is always open to you, feel free to come by anytime! Good luck, my child!"

I smiled, Toriel was so sweet. After eating the Cinnamon Butterscotch pie slice, I gathered my things and set off to Snowdin. I smiled at the thought of seeing Sans again. And Papyrus, Alphys, Undyne...everyone. Everyone I missed and loved.

I was ready for my second underground adventure!