Chapter 2

Sarah’s favourite perk for the team doctor of the Clarington ‘Quakes was getting waved through all the parking checkpoints, and snagging the prime parking spot right outside the doors of the arena.  It was a typical Saturday night at the arena and the place was hopping.  Sarah carefully manoeuvred the Porsche into the reserved spot.  Danni’s Porsche was a dream to drive, very smooth and powerful.  No sneaking off for junk food at the drive-thru, though.  People noticed you in this car.  She tried not to blush at the wolf whistle at the last stop sign, and accelerated a little too quickly at the green light when a group of guys eyed her with avid interest.  But she managed to manoeuvre the car safely into the parking spot without getting a scratch or a ding.  Danni would appreciate that!

Sarah turned off the engine and sat for a moment watching the crowds of people streaming into the grand entrance of the arena.  All those people, wanting to watch hockey.  And not one doctor Danni could ask?  Jeez.

It looked like another sell-out crowd.  Clarington was very supportive of its hockey team and just last year had finished raising the money to build the rink.  It had been a five-year project, which the city council heartily endorsed, and all but a minority of Clarington folk had embraced.  The rink and the attached banquet facilities opened six months ago. 

Sarah hadn’t been to a rink in over sixteen years.  And wasn’t looking forward to tonight.  She loosened her coat as sweat gathered on her forehead.  The inside of the car suddenly felt airless.  She fumbled with the door and stepped out.  Think happy thoughts.  She could do this. 

She grabbed Danni’s bag off the seat.  Danni had lent her a team tracksuit and ice gripper shoes. Danni was the same height, but had a few more curves.  The pants were long enough, but Sarah didn’t fill them out quite as well.  Luckily they both wore a size nine shoe.  The gripper shoes were designed to make walking on slippery ice, safer.  Hopefully, she wouldn’t need to use those tonight, but at least if she did have to go out onto the ice, there would be less chance of her ending up on the sports channel highlight reel for the game’s most embarrassing moment.

 Sarah bypassed the main entrance and reluctantly made her way to the staff entrance off to the side and around to the back.  Security personnel scanned the medic pass and she was nodded inside.  She watched as people milled about and poured into a bright open foyer.  Moving ramps carried fans to the second and third decks and those lucky enough to be in the main arena were directed around the rink on moving platforms.  Enormous shiny silver spotlights illuminated the periphery, and navy and silver Clarington ‘Quake logos flashed at regular intervals.  The navy walls, with a band of stainless steel tiles, were elegantly interspersed with pale grey, brick columns. 

Sarah tried to cling to the energy of the people as they chatted excitedly and moved to their seats, but her heart was racing and her chest tightening.  Deep breaths helped with the smothering feeling.  Until she felt lightheaded and her vision greyed.  She sat on a bench, and put her head down.  Her hair fell forward to cover her face, but her shoulder length curls didn't hide enough.

Deep breath in.  Slow breath out.   

Sarah looked around, wondering if there might a doctor somewhere in the crowd.  One who could look after the team so she could leave, she thought with chagrin. 

Danni had left instructions.  She was going to take care of updating the injured player list, and suggested Sarah drop by the trainer's room.   Ben Matthews, the Head Athletic Therapist, and his assistant, Dave Reed, would be there, with any athletes who needed treatment before the game.

It was a good suggestion.  But it wasn’t going to happen.  Sarah put her head down, pretending to tie her shoes, until the dizziness subsided and the nausea passed.  She rose slowly and made her way to the reserved seat for the physician. 

 Hopefully if Ben needed her, he would find her.  She’d be the one looking a little green.