Chapter 23

Sarah woke the next day with a burst of energy, and arrived at Comcor ten minutes early.  As she went through the front door of the building, she resisted the urge to wipe damp palms on her skirt. 

She decided to wear a copper coloured fitted skirt that skimmed her knees, and a matching tailored jacket.  A murano glass necklace with hues of copper and turquoise, and teardrop earrings completed the outfit.  Professional, but not forgettable, she decided.  Not the low cut top Danni suggested--she hoped she didn’t regret that.

She greeted the receptionist and was sent up to the twelfth floor. 

As the elevators opened, she was greeted by a young woman, dressed immaculately in a navy pantsuit, her hair in a slick chignon.  “Dr. Jain?  Hello and welcome.  I’m Debra Peters, Mr. Cumming’s assistant.  Come with me, please.”

She followed the tap of Debra’s high heels down a corridor lined with formal oil paintings, until they arrived at a set of intimidating wooden double doors. 

As Debra opened them, she explained, “We’re just waiting for Sandra Welturn to arrive.  She’s the representative for the Senior’s Center.  You’ll have a chance to present your proposal to the Board and then Mrs. Welturn will do the same.  Can I load your presentation on our system for you?”

“Thanks,” Sarah said, and handed Debra the file. 

“Would you like coffee or tea?”

“No thanks, I’m fine.”  She had enough adrenalin zinging through her.  No need for more stimulants. 

“Let me just introduce you to Mr. Cummings.” 

Sarah looked around the room at the half a dozen men quietly talking in groups, formally dressed in black business suits and ties.  A lot of grey hair, she sighed.

Mr. Cummings came forward with a welcoming smile, his hand extended in greeting.  He had twinkling eyes and a mop of grey hair.  He was the President and CEO of Comcor.

“Thank you very much for inviting me to speak,” Sarah said after the introductions.

“Our pleasure, our pleasure, Dr. Jain,” he boomed.  “We’re always looking for ways to support the community.  We’re so pleased you could take time from your busy schedule to come and tell us more about the Teen Clinic.”

Mrs. Welturn arrived and after the introductions were repeated, they sat down.  Mr. Cummings reviewed the two proposals briefly for the Board and after introducing Sarah, invited her to the front of the room.

Sarah took two deep breaths as the presentation was loaded.  She began to speak and felt her mouth go dry.  But as she described the clinic, the breadth of work they did, and the patients, the words flowed. 

The presentation ended with a short video created by some of the teenagers who wanted to share their story.  Their message was simple, heartfelt and real.  It caught the essence of the clinic better than all the statistics.  And it caught their attention.  They sat up and nodded and clapped loudly when it finished.

Sarah took a seat and listened to the next presentation.  The plan was to create a Senior’s Community Center.  It would give the growing population of seniors, living independently in the community, a place to socialize.  Much needed, Sarah sighed, as she thought about all the seniors in her practice.  Drat.  It was a great idea. 

But so was the Mobile Teen Clinic.  And it was her baby. 

Not an easy decision.

Mr. Cummings ended the meeting, thanked them both and acknowledged the vital role of both causes.  He promised a decision by the end of the month.

There was a lot of handshaking, and Debra Peters appeared to escort them back to the lobby.

Sarah glanced at her watch, surprised to find it was already noon.  And she had a free afternoon.  She could go back to the office and finish the paperwork filling her inbox.  But playing hooky would be a lot more fun.

Shopping sounded appealing.  Of course, shopping always sounded appealing, but she could justify it by picking up the rest of the supplies for the ‘Quake dinner.   And even better, she thought as she pulled out her cellphone, would be company for lunch.  She fired off a quick text to Kelly to see if she was free.  She could use some girl time.