Chapter 21

Sarah and Claire stopped for Thai take-out on the way back to Claire’s condominium.  Her building was about the same distance from the clinic, but in the opposite direction.

Claire parked in the underground parking.  After passcoding in, they took the elevator to the top floor.  There were four condo units on the top floor, but the hall was quiet as they turned to Claire’s. 

Claire owned two condominium units adjacent to each other.  She lived in one unit and used the second one as her studio, a handy arrangement for living and working.  The condos occupied the south corner of the top floor, and had a wall of windows with a spectacular view overlooking the Charlebois River.

Despite all the colour Claire worked with, or maybe because of it, Claire’s home was decorated in shades of white.  The furniture, the walls, the wall hangings and even the bleached hardwood floors were all pale tones of white and off-white.  The thick shag rug was cozy underfoot, and the white cashmere throw over the edge of a white suede sofa provided texture and elegance in a room that should have been plain.  Claire drew thick curtains across the windows to shut out the darkness and cold of the night. 

Claire went to change, and Sarah carried the Thai food to the kitchen.  White shiny cabinets gleamed in the low light of overhead pot lights.  The white marble countertop with a thin vein of grey, looked stunning as it reflected back in the seamless, white glass backsplash.

 Sarah unpacked the food and set up the dishes on the island. 

Claire walked into the kitchen, looking more relaxed in faded jeans and a figure-hugging turtleneck in a deep shade of purple.  She leaned over the food and inhaled deeply.  “Mmm.... smells delicious.  I didn’t realize how hungry I was,” she said as they pulled up the bar stools and sat down. 

“So how was your day today?” Sarah asked.

“Not as exciting as yours,” Claire said with a wry grin.  “I was busy with a fitting for the Christmas skating show.  We made a mother duck costume for the instructor, and the little group of three year olds were all baby ducklings.”

“Aw.”

“I know.  We put extra padding in the yellow fluff, so they waddled when they walked.”

Sarah laughed.

“And the funniest part,” continued Claire, “was that the three year olds followed the instructor around in a row.”  Laughing, she filled her plate.  “It was a good choice of costume.”

Claire made tea and they moved to the living room cupping steaming mugs in their hands.  They picked a flick to watch on television, and as it started, Sarah’s cell phone beeped with a text.

Hey, tried to call you at home, but no answer.  Just wanted to make sure you’re OK. 

It was Mike checking up on her. 

Sarah grinned as she text back:

I’m fine.  Staying with a friend.

Male or female?

Are you jealous?

Depends if it’s male or female.

Female.

Nope.  Not jealous.  Stay safe.

Thanks.

Sarah smiled, put her phone away, and settled in to watch the movie with Claire.  They laughed through the comedy, and by the time it finished, they were both yawning.