Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Emmy’s POV

Dante had brought me to the Beach House for lunch. I smiled despite of how angry I was with him. How did he know I loved this place?

“Have you been here before?” He asked me as we took a seat across from each other.

“Yeah. I always come with Liz and Harley.” I admitted and opened the menu. “I love it.”

He grinned. “Good.”

“What are you having?” I asked him, skimming over my choices. The last time I’ve been here, I had the oysters. Maybe I’ll try the clam this time.

He shrugged. “I don’t know. What are going to have?”

“Clam probably. I like trying something new every time I come here.”

Dante set his menu down and smiled at me. “Then I’ll have the clam too.”

“Are you sure you’ll like it?” I wondered. “It’s all gooey and weird looking.”

“I’m sure it’s not that bad.”

“That looks really bad.”

“Told you so. But it really might be good.” I laughed and picked up one of the clams. I slowly lifted it up to my mouth, tipped my head back, and swallowed it whole. I licked my lips for a second, taking in the taste. “See. It wasn’t that bad. It’s actually really good.”

“You make it look like it tastes really good.” He smirked.

I rolled my eyes and picked up another clam from off my plate. “Come on. Open up.” I ordered, pointing the tip towards Dante’s lips.

He faked gagged and leaned away.

“You’re such a wussy, Dante. Just taste it!”

“I don’t mind being called wussy, but I’m not eating that stuff.” He countered.

“Well, then I guess you won’t be kissing me anymore if you don’t.” I threatened, raising a brow.

Hastily, Dante leaned in and swallowed the clam egg whole. I stifled a laugh when his face scrunched up for a second before a smile was planted on his handsome face. “That’s not that bad.”

I stuck my tongue out at him. “See. Told you.”

“Yeah, yeah.” He chuckled and picked up another clam and slipped the contents into his mouth. I sat still and watched how he ate, how his muscles flexed every time he moved.

Crap. I keep forgetting that I’m angry with him.

After like the fifth clam, he catches my eye. “What are you thinking about?”

I pressed my lips together, pondering my answer. “I heard you talking to your brothers during lunch.”

Dante let out a sigh and grabbed a paper napkin to wipe his hands and mouth. “Emmy, it’s not what—“

“Why would you lie to me and say the whole angel thing is not a problem?” I demanded. “Clearly, it is since you had to tell your brothers the first chance you got. Do you not trust me?”

“Emmy…” He ran his hands over his face. “It’s not that I don’t trust you.”

“Then what?” I pressed. “What could possibly be the reason you didn’t tell me?”

“Because I don’t want you involved!” He snapped back at me. I was about to retort, but he was the one who cut me off this time. He spoke icily and low so no one around could hear us. “You’re human, Emmy, so act like one. You shouldn’t be involved in all of this because you’ll die. And it will be all my fault.”