Chapter 11: Resist the Bait

Leah's POV
"Ok guys! I'm gonna count to ten and you all better be hidden!" Jordan called out to the pups in the living room as they giggled and started to scatter. Today was the first day to Ryder's sentence and I could already feel the full effects of the mate pull. The mate pull is actually not as mythical and supernatural as some people think. Since I majored in Anatomical Chemistry in my online college courses, I was actually able to look at the structure of how it actually works.

The body releases pheromones into the air once the wolf's body reaches the maturity of 18. A huge step up for the kids in the room whom think it has to do with cooties. Anyways, the pheromones released only attract the same pheromones as your mate. Once your mate or yourself sense these pheromones, your body resonates with you significant other and connects a sixth sense mind link. The sixth sense part of the wolf that resides within us. The wolf instinctually determines wether or not the mate would be a good chromosome donor for the females children to create strong offspring. Because male wants to get a mate and be suitable for said mate, their bodies literally force themselves to be strong, fit, and push away any disease possible. That's why werewolves are always sexy hunks. Now this is good except for when it comes to silver. Somehow the DNA in our bodies cannot protect against the metal stray sizing against our epidermis(the skin) which can cause a chain reaction of poison burns. Since the body is so focused on heal sickness disease and other wounds, it refuses to heal against silver and let the regular human process of platelets and blood clots form instead of speeding up the process. However, since I'm the White Wolf, my immune system recognizes silver but not copper, which can be even deadly, which brings me to the question on why Ryder said that silver bullets wouldn't hurt him, even though he holds no white wolf blood in his body. Besides, as it comes down to it, the white wolf can only be female.

"...8...9...10! Ready or not here I come!" Jordan yells playfully as I see several kids testing out the "if I can't see you, you can't see me" theory. I chuckle a little as Jorden passes them, acting as though they're invisible.

The reason for all these pups are in the pack house is because, since we allow Pack members to get jobs outside of the pack, we also support services for taking care of their children while at their jobs. It's always usually the same children unless a newborn pup enters this world. Then we wait a year and get them after the mother can stand parting with them for a few hours. From what my father tells me, my mother had taught me at a 3rd grade level when I was 6 years old, just entering first grade. She refused to part with my till then and still had issues, but my dad says he kept her busy. TMI, I know.

Hearing the creak of stair and a delicious scent enter the room, my head spins to see Ryder descending with five guards in tow. Until he earns more trust, I've ordered a round of guards that rotate every 3 hours to watch over him. Not that I'd think he'd do anything—I already trust him—but that it gives the pack a little ease.

Ryder's eyes meet my own and a sense of longing washes over me. I quickly turn my head as my heart jumps in my throat. Not being able to acknowledge the mate bound was part of his punishment as well. So why do I feel like I'm actually dying? Shaking my thoughts, Ryder comes to stand next to me and nods as I nod back, putting my "alpha" statue on.

"Starting today, you will be tasked in helping me and my gammas with the children of the pack. Since this pack allows jobs outside in the human's world, we also provide services to watch their children. It provides a pack experience and a trust to build within the next generation. After this small break we are beginning to teach Pack Law and you will be required to learn just as they do. I will be teaching the class today so I expect full attention." I wanted to mentally slap myself for saying that as Ryder's lips curled into a devilish smirk.

"Of course Ms. Lea. You will have my full attention." He says seductively as shivers run up and down my spine. I curse them as I quickly turn around to avoid him seeing my face grow very red. Yup, this day is going to be harder than I thought. Looking to the twin terrors, both have turned from smiles to glares, and the one and only to be on the receiving end was Ryder himself. Nonetheless, he shrugged them both off and smiled at me, then waltzed over to the couch, plopping himself down on a cushion and leaning back, acting as if he owned the place. This action somehow pissed both me and my wolf off.