Chapter Twelve

Liesel

I hear Larsen leave, and decide to slip back into the bedroom.

'Why so star-struck, Casper?' I ask.

'You have no idea.' He replies, in a daze.

'I could take a wild guess and be right.' I retort.

He stays silent, knowing I am right. I look at his expression for any signs of what I think.

After a short while, it dawns on me.

'You kissed her again, didn't you?' I start.

He blushes, and I am now certain that my theory is correct.

'How do just read people like that?' He asks, puzzled.

'I just can and am more than often right about it.' I reply.

'I kissed her, you are right. I decided that I wasn't going to regret the things I didn't do.' He starts.

'What did she do?' I ask, genuinely curious as to Larsen's reaction.

'She reciprocated. Completely. And she wanted it just as much as I did, and I'm sure you hear more about that than I do. She had a sort of look of wonder on her face when it was over. But then she slipped out to the kitchen for a drink just before you came in.' He says.

'Well, I do know a lot more than you in this matter. But I will tell you this. You took her first kiss and that means a hell of a lot to her. There are some things that I can't tell you, but she deserves a chance to tell you herself. You honestly have no idea how she feels about you and it's not my place to tell you either. And she doesn't know how you feel either. You can tell her all you like but you have to show her to really prove to her that you mean it. She's scared and she thinks she doesn't know what she's doing because she's never done this before. But feelings, especially strong ones, scare people because they are afraid of getting hurt.' I reply.

'Remind me to never lie to you or ever try to trick you.' He responds.

'I can read people, and it is a gift, yet a curse.' I say, looking out the window and avoiding his gaze.

'How?' He asks.

'Because while I can see people's problems and feelings you can't always help them or show them how to fix it. And you can't do anything for some until the train wreck has hit. Then you can pick up the pieces.'

'What about you? Don't you have anyone there for you? To help you pick up the pieces? That seems a little unfair.'

'That's just the way it is. I have Larsen, but not really anybody else.'

'So you can read people but they can't read you?'

'Yeah.' I say, nostalgically.

'Can you read people who you aren't close to?' He asks, inquisitively.

'Sure. Give me a name of someone you are close to but I am not.'

'Theodore Skjult.'

Ever-so-slightly nervously I think about the consequences of what happens if I tell Casper what I really think and know, knowing that the truth is like pandora's box, once you let it out, there is no putting it back.

'Your best friend? Are you sure?'

'Yes.'

Well then, you asked for it...

'Theodore Skjult. Pretends to be quite the playboy, but it is strictly a facade. Quite fabulous, and a great guy, but leaves his real feelings out of what he does every day. Incredibly intelligent, again, pretends not to be for the playboy facade, but is incredibly sweet and caring when nobody is watching. Dependable, I can say from personal experience from working with him at school, but he has a lot of secrets to hide.' I start.