REAL LIFE / MIXED

Warning:
- I can't write.
- Be ready for deep shit and some feels.
- Not edited because I'm excited to publish.

Can't help wondering what you're thinking
Wherever you are
Late night movies, careless drinking
To cover these scars

And as much as I wanna be with you, I know...

You and me, we're bumper cars
The more I try to get to you
The more we crash apart, no
Roun—

Val pulled the earphones out of her ears in annoyance and closed the music app on her phone.

She did not need a song to tell her how she feels.

How ironic that she downloaded this track to daydream about being in this position.

The thing is, Val always wanted a boyfriend. She wanted to know the feeling of being loved back. But somehow, she just couldn't imagine someone loving her back. When she does, all she could think about after is all the reasons why someone wouldn't. So when Tom came, she pushed him away.

She took a cab from the airport to her home, where Tom should be waiting. She looked at her phone. It was the afternoon and apparently, there's a 50/50 chance that it would rain today, according to the weather report she unintentionally read.

She rung Toby and he didn't answer. She figured he was on filming and shrugged it off. She tried to ring Kento as well, but he was probably asleep so she decided not to.

She sighed as she realized that she does not have anyone to talk to right now.

"Is there something wrong, maam?" The driver asked. Val found it odd and suspicious. She was always anxious about commuting. She didn't want to assume badly of people but sometimes her anxiety would take over and just tell her that this person might be a robber or a murderer.

"It's alright," she replied. "Well, you look stressed. Sometimes, all you need is someone to talk to, you know." He said.

"You know, I have a son. He should be the same age as you now," He started. Val was only having question marks in her head. Why is this man telling her this?

"Last week, if only I was there to talk to him. If only I accepted fate. If only I let fate decide. Maybe, he wouldn't have left us." He continued. Val still couldn't relate, but felt bad for the man who seemed to be in great pain.

"Your son... what do you mean?" She asked.

"My son wanted to be a painter. He asked if he could paint as a living. I said no. He said to let fate decide. He asked me if he could find more than ten stars on our night skies that night, I'll accept. I agreed. Our place had no stars every night, why would there be that night?" Val listened closely.

"The stars shone brightly that night."

"I didn't keep my promise. I'm a cab driver. My hopes and dreams for my son is a better future. Why would I accept his dream? I had so much more for him. I was stupid.

"He tried to talk to me a few days after that, bags under his eyes. I refused. Two days after, we found him in his room, already lifeless." He finished.

Val didn't really know what to say. So she just sat quietly, reflecting on the story.

The cab stopped in front of her house. She paid the driver the amount and thanked him. Oddly, he replied, rather than the usual drivers who would shrug and drive away. He did not reply with a simple "You're welcome" too. Instead he gave her an advise.