Chapter Three

Derek still couldn't believe how much Amerest resembled Esmer. She could pass as her doppleganger. He was scared though to get too close to Amerest. He was afraid that what he did to Esmer, he might do to Amerest. But he couldn't help it; he was drawn to her like a moth to a flame.

He walked into the bandhall and was welcomed with music. "Hi, you must be Derek my new drummer," said his new band director.

"Yes sir," he replied shaking his hand formally.

"Why don't you pick out a drum set and show me what you've got," he motioned to the end of the hall where all the drums were lined up nice and neat. They shined in the florecent lighting as if they had just been cleaned.

He walked up and picked out a set that wasn't as old as the others with blue and silver triming. He sat on the stool and pulled out the drum sticks from the pouch hanging on the wall next to the set. "What would you like me to play?" He asked the director who stood watching him.

"Play whatever you'd like, then I'd like if you could sight read this song right here," he pulled a music stand that was a little off to the side hat had a music sheet with four stanzas with four measures in each stanza. The notes seemed like they would be pretty easy to play, and wouldn't be a challenge for him.

"Ok." He thought for a minute about which song to play when he decided he would play Esmer's favorite. It had a steady rythme and beat. It crecendo at some points then decrecendo in others.  The music was a beautiful, meaningful piece that he had created after meeting Esmer. The music described how he felt when he was with her and when he wasn't. Playing it brought back all the  memories of him and her. His last hit was on the symbol which sent a small sound vibration through the room since no other note followed.

The director stared at him open mouthed, then a slow grin spread across his face as he began clapping. "Wow that was the most amazing drumming I have ever heard! I am tempted to just put you in the honors class right now, but I have to first make sure you can sight read as well." He put the music stand in front of Derek and waited patiently for Derek to begin playing. Secretly the director prayed  that this was the person he had been waiting for to help them at the annual Pigskin Jubilee.

Once Derek was sure he had read ahead enough to begin playing he started and played with a small smile on his face. He hit every beat correctly and followed the tempo of the song easily. In no time he had finished it without even stumbling once. Once again the director stared at him speechless. He nodded his head once and clasped him on the shoulder while saying, "Welcome to the Honors/Varsity Band. you will be using this drum set then from now on. I will have a few of the guys move it for you next to Jacob's set in the main hall."

He walked over to a door to the left of where Derek was standing and opened it calling out, "Jacob! Jonathan! Frank and Anthony!" Out stepped four burly looking guys and they all glanced once in Derek's direction before turning to their director. "Help this fellow here set up his set next to Jacob's and catch him up on the music we have been currently practicing," he turned and was about to walk out of the room when he stopped and turned back. "Oh and fellas take care of him. No tricks." Then finished walking out.

All four turned toward Derek and walked over to him and stood in front of him. Derek braced himself for what might come next.

"Hey you must be the new guy we have been expecting to lead us to winning the Pigskin," the one with spikey jet black hair and tight fitted clothes said.

So they had been expecting him. He wondered how much everyone really new. "Yeah I'm Derek," he said sticking out his hand. He was met with the usual slide and fist bumb every guy did.

"I'm Jacob," the guy with spikey hair said. "This is Jonathon," he said pointing to the tallest guy in the group, who nodded slightly in his direction, "Frank," he said pointing to the shortest who stood only about one inch shorter than himself, "and this is Anthony," Jacob nodded to the one that looked like the type of sporty guy that most girls would go for.