Chapter Four

Chapter Four

The minute Derek stepped off the bus he decided to wait for Amerest since there was no way he was going to be able to avoid her. She smiled at the bus driver and waved as she stepped off. It was the first time Derek had seen her smile all day. The second her eyes fell on him though, the smile had slid off her face as she began to glare at him. If looks could kill he would have been six feet under by now.

She walked by ignoring him as the bus sped off in the direction it had brought them from. "Hey Amerest, wait up!" he called as he rushed after.

She whirled around making him almost bump into her again for the umpteenth time that day. "Why can't you just stop following me?!" She said pushing him with such force that it knocked him on his butt. For a small girl she sure did have strength. "Who are you? Tell me or else I swear to God that I will hurt you so badly you will wish you stayed on that bus." Amerest's eyes were ablaze with hatred, scaring him a little. He was shocked. He had been trained to never fear anyone or anything. But now this furious, dark girl had struck a chord of fear into him.

"Well my name is Derek as you already know. I just moved here from out of state. I live alone. I have no friends in this place. I used to be mister Popular, but I decided to keep myself on the DL. And I can't stop following you because you remind me of my dead girlfriend," he gushed all at once like a dam cracked a part. Her eyes widened at the last part he had said.

Derek slapped his hand over his mouth and blinked. He could not believe what he had said. Everything, a complete quick summary, had just left his mouth without him thinking. He stared at her shocked as she fell to the ground rummaging through her bag.

"I have no idea why I just said all-" he stopped mid-sentence as he saw her pull out a sketch she must have drawn.

Facing the sketch so he could see the whole thing, she pointed with her finger to the girl and asked, "Is this her?"

Derek fell to the ground beside her and quietly gazed at the picture. It was a complete portrait of what had happened that night. He slowly and gently ran his fingers over her face as flashbacks flashed before his eyes.

It was a clear evening, perfect to go out for a walk in the park with Esmer. She had finally cleared an evening for just him. He had picked her up in his brand new birthday present. A shiny new 2007 BMW.

She had worn the most beautiful outfit just for him. Her top was a beautiful baby blue sequence blouse with skin tight skinny jeans and royal blue converse. To him she looked like the most beautiful girl in the whole world.

He was left speechless as he opened the passenger side door for her helping her in carefully. She smiled at him and reached out her hand to his face in a loving way. He knew that they were still young, but he knew that this was the girl he wanted to spend the rest of his life with.

The walk had been just perfect as the sun had begun set over the horizon washing the earth in the most beautiful colors. She had sat in his lap under their favorite willow tree as they spoke of the future they could have together.

He knew as well as she that for them to have a future Esmer would have to start finding more time for him. Esmer already had a lot on her plate with her being an up and coming musician and her parents having a strict firm hold over her life. She barely got to see Derek once week.

Derek had a plan that he felt was full-proof for them to get their happily ever after. They had to run away together. He had everything planned out. Since his parents were CIA agents, he had always had a large bank account. Money would not be a problem, and neither would be hiding under the radar because of the connections he had. He could easily have them disappear.