Chapter 33

Kayn and Rhaast stood side by side for the first time. The human vessel Rhaast had entered through the scythe was feeble and weak and Rhaast felt him deteriorating quickly. Blood had begun to drip from all of his orifices and it was only a matter of time before he'd collapse and die from the blood loss. But until then Rhaast backed Kayn up as they approached what was left of the boat crew. They were all huddled by the front of the boat, each holding up some sort of weapon. Those with guns had exhausted all their ammo as they fired at their possessed friend All that was left was daggers, swords, and machetes. None of which could fool Kayn or beat him, he had mastered them all long ago.

Kayn took the two machetes firmly in his hands and  dashed forward at the man who had stepped on his hand earlier. He swung his weapons wide and landed directly in his chest, ripping the two blade straight out. He charged at the next man, a machete slicing down the man's arm causing a blood curdling scream to echo off the empty sea. Another decided to try and fight back, he leaped towards Kayn with a dagger in his hand, the blade landing in what would have been Kayn's shoulder. 

Then, something happened. As the dagger pierced Kayn's flesh he grunted and yelled out in pain. He retorted by throwing a machete into the mans chest but as all this happened Rhaast too had yelled out. The human he had possessed had also seemed to have taken the dagger's blade, even though he had not been stabbed. As Kayn glanced back at Rhaast he was blind sided, another blade pricing his back. He hollered out, watching as Rhaast's vessel buckled under the pain. 

Kayn dropped down to his knees, the machetes falling to his sides. His reached up to his back and pulled out the dagger, blood immediately flowing down his back. He took a deep breath in, wheezing beneath the blade's puncture. 

"Rhaast. Come back to me." He called out, realizing the possessed man was buckling much faster than Kayn was.

Rhaast mustered up what was left of the human and leaped above Kayn at the man who had stabbed him, the scythe swinging down hard on to the boat's deck. The man faltered backwards and Rhaast took it as an opportunity to hop back into Kayn. They both inhaled deeply, the demonic portion of Rhaast taking back the bits of Kayn he had claimed. 

Kayn rose to his feet, taking his scythe back. His bloodied hands wrapping tightly around it's neck. Rhaast was brimming with power from inside him, as if their reunion had buffed them both. They were truly better together, and it was at that moment that they realized it as fact.

Kill them all... Rhaast growled.

In the blink of an eye Kayn had darted forward, leaping inside of one of the men. It was a technique he hadn't used often as he hadn't fully mastered it when training with Zed. But at this moment, he felt he could prevail. To his surprise the scythe flew above the man's body, Rhaast keeping it suspended in the air. Then, all at once, Kayn leaped from the man and the scythe came flying back down cutting the human's flesh straight to the floor boards.

Kayn caught the weapon and lunged forward again, drenched in the other's blood. He swung the scythe and sent two other men flying backwards. At this point there was only a few of Zed's minions left alive and Kayn felt fulfilled by their slaughter. Their blood felt good against his skin and it tasted even better. He couldn't help but lick his lips as their skin split and blood splattered across the boat. 

After only six hours of being captured Kayn and Rhaast had successfully killed all twenty of Zed's men leaving only himself and corpses scattered across the bloodied boat. He looked at the massacre, pleased with the power he and the demon had when combined. 

"We did it." Kayn spoke aloud. "Twenty sad excuses for assassins versus one demon bound man." He laughed, swinging the scythe over his shoulder back into it's straps. 

We can't become separated from the scythe, Kayn. Rhaast spoke. Though we can function without one another, the damage you take also effects me.

Kayn nodded, his lips pursed as he thought for a moment. "It must be some sort of loop hole the witch instilled when she bound us." 

Being able to travel from you to the scythe is as much of a gift as it is a curse. Rhaast's voice grumbled from inside Kayn. 

"Well we must be tactful in staying together, and if we become separated from the scythe we should use your ability to go to it as a last resort." Kayn began dragging bodies and tossing them off the boat. he watched as they sunk deep into the dark water.

A last resort? The demon questioned. 

"If we're to become separated you must do everything in your power to bring the scythe back into my hands." Kayn was now shoveling entrails off the boat's floor over the side as well. He did he best the get the boat clean so to not draw unwanted attention from other boats that would eventually pass.

I see... So I'll leave behind a trial of possessed corpses in my wake to get back to you. How utterly... hopeless. Rhaast boomed with laughter from inside of Kayn. It seemed he found it far funnier than Kayn himself did.

"We're bound together now, Rhaast. You should be eager to come back to me. That's how we will survive. It's how we will prevail." Kayn unloaded the last body and then took a look at himself. He was covered in blood, and though it brought him a small amount of joy he knew he needed to wash himself clean. He leaned over the side of the boat, a hand stretching out into the salty water. He caught a glimpse of himself before he sent his reflection rippling away in the waves. 

This would be it. This is all he had left of himself and if he could not defeat Zed it may be the last moment of solace he would have in his life. Fighting Zed was all he had left to do, it was all he felt he needed to accomplish. After that, even if he were to win, he'd having nothing. Petra, maybe. But is that what he was destined for? A life spent with a women? He cringed at the thought of commitment and a life of boring mundane things. Kayn was, after all, a man possessed and bound to a demon for all eternity...

EDITED 11/21/17