I Just Want Cake

I see my mother before anything, before Harry's mother, the beautiful table, with flowers and a beard basket. Even before the smell of food hits me. Fear washed over. Whipping my hands down my hip, taking a deep breath. I loop my fingers with Harry; pulling him, we make our way to the table. 

"Hey." I smile at the two women's setting on one side of the table. Leaving the other side for us. Harry pulls out my chair. "Thanks." Smiling a little at him, he winks at me before he sits in between me and his Mother.

The table, a dark round wood table, becomes smaller. The room feels smaller. My fingertips dance on the wood. Tap. Tap. Tap.

"Honey, stop that." My mother eye squints at me. Her commanding look. Her power look.

"Well, this is nice." Harry said I looked at him. Pushing him to talk.

"Let's skip the small talk okay?" His mother was looking only at him.

"We've heard your story. But tell us what's going on between you two?" She added.

"We're together." Harry said, looking straight into his Mother's eyes.

"Darling," my mother's voice pulls at me, "What about college?"

"I'm still going, just fewer classes the first semester."

"But that will mess with you graduations timeline. You can't just go pushing your plans for some 'guy'."

"That 'some guy' is my son"

"I didn't mean anything against Harry. It's just..."

"Just what?"

The Mothers glared at one another. Flames danced between them.

"I'm not changing my plans for anyone. I was planning on taking only a few classes from the start, I just hadn't told you. I'll make up the classes later so I can still make your timeline."

"It's not my timeline, it's yours, our plans."

His mother rolled her eyes. Praying she didn't see but my mother sees all. They bark back and forth. Jabbing each other, but never enough to do too much damage.

"You know, this is all your cousin's fault. We wouldn't be in this mess if it wasn't for her making you go out with her that night." My mother said as we were waiting to place our order.

"That's it!" My voice rises. "This 'mess' is my life right now. Harry and I don't know how long we'll be together, weeks or years. But if you can't get behind the 'mistake' that's such a huge problem then please leave your navigate words and drama at the door." Standing up, eyes bounce between each person. "I'm no longer hunger. Goodnight."

Walking off no one tries to stop me and I'm grateful.

PJ's and Netflix is now my night. My favorite kind of night. On the downside, room service is closed, and I'm starving. It's probably the only reason cooking shows are the only thing I seem to want to watch. Oh, man, that cake looks good.

The door slowly opens, he pops his head in. Eyes questioning if he can enter.

"I have food."

"You're my favorite."

His lips grow into a smile. Harry closes the door, before setting the bag of food and himself next to me.

"Whatcha watching?" He looks at the TV. "Cooking?"

"I'm hungry." I open the bag and see three to go boxes.

"You did skip dinner."

"Speaking of dinner?"

"You're not to leave me alone with them again."

"That bad?" I open the largest box, it's a chicken pasta. The smallest box was an asparagus side dish. Opening the last one causing my stomach to grumble. Three huge slices of Double Dark Chocolate Cake.

"Oh, that looks amazing." Picking up the fork, taking a huge bite, the cake is soft and sweet,

Harry reaches over and whips a little frosting off my lips.

"Thanks for the food."

"Anytime, sweets."

I give him a fork for the cake before eating the other food. Harry and I finish all three piece of cake before we crawl into bed falling asleep to a cooking show.