Chapter 2

Chapter 2-

 I decided to multitask. I walked my dog to my grandfathers house. I got inside, and he gave me lunch. During lunch, I wiggled the woman into our conversation.

"...and that is when you mother met your father."

"Grandpa. You've told me that story every time I come."

"Really? I must keep forgetting."

"Yeah. Speaking of family and forgetting, are there any relatives I don't know about?"

My grandfather paused. It looked as if he was trying to decide whether to say something, or how to say it. I could tell he figured it out, because soon enough he said

"Yes Emily. There is one. I have a sister. Or, had a sister. She went missing 50 years ago. I was 5 years older than her. Nobody could find her. My family went to the art museum quite often. That was the only time I got to see Annabelle."

Wait, what? The odd woman is my great aunt? Whoa! I was not ready for that.

"What did the painting look like?"

"All that I remember is that it was something about how people pass up beauty in life as if it is in black and white, because my sister was a beautiful girl, and there was a garbage dump in the background. She was in black and white, and the dump was in full color. One day about 5 years ago, I went to see her. I got to the painting, and my sister was no longer in it! I was rather confused. You see, she just disappeared! That doesn't happen in paintings!"

I made sure to look just as confused as he was. I then pretended that I had to go home to clean my room, but I would be looking for the woman. Well, I guess I should call her Great- Aunt Annabelle at this point in the story.