Chapter Five - The Master and the Mutants

Ian Hecox

   I stared outside the window deep in thought, looking at the passing cars and people walking on the streets, seeing them go on their day. In the meantime, my mind was clouded with emotions: excitement, confusion, joy, but mostly loneliness.

   This time I was gazing at the midday sky, watching the clouds rolling up there, admiring the beauty of nature. However, I still couldn't shake the feeling of being blue.

   I took in deep and steady breaths, letting them out with a soft frustrated sigh, shaking my head in disbelief. Soon enough, tears began to leak from my eyes, my sadness finally getting the best of me. I bowed my head down, trying to stifle my soft sobs, hiding it from the squad who were just sitting in the back.

Link kept driving, his attention focused on the road cautiously driving past cars navigating the vehicle through the busy streets of the city. Thankfully he still hasn't noticed me crying.

I did my best to regain my composure, but it couldn't hold back the growing depression from within me.

The pain was too much. Yet, I took another glance at my lap.

   "No...." I broke down, bringing my knees to my chest, my arms in between them.

   "What's wrong, man?" Anthony tapped my shoulder, who was sitting in the second row with Pam and Miel.

   I lifted up my head and glanced at him, letting him see the sadness in my eyes. Anthony frowned upon seeing me, his brown eyes seemed to show compassion and empathy.

I put back my legs on the floor and shakily unraveled an object that was cradled in my arms.

"M-my p-phone." I sniffed, bringing up the damaged phone for him to see.

His frown suddenly vanished, immediately replaced with disbelief, "Seriously?"

   "You have no idea how it feels to have a broken phone." I ran my hands along the cracks on the screen, "Plus, my one year warranty has ended."

"You can get a new one. You know that, right?"

"I dunno, Anthony." I shook my head, "We've been through a lot together, I don't think I can give it up that easily."

   "It's just a phone!"

   "It's more than a phone... it's... an iPhone." I kept on caressing the phone as if it was alive.

   "How ironic that you used to diss Apple about their phones a few years ago, now you're worshiping that thing like a god."

   "Well I-OW!" I accidentally cut my finger on the cracked screen. "FUCK!"

   The small prick on my finger started bleeding, warm blood dripping down on the carpeted floor and on the phone itself, seeping through the cracks on the screen.

   "Serves you right, you bowl haired bitch." Siri spoke from my phone, cackling.

   "Shut up, Siri!" I clicked on the button to quit the application, "I don't have a bowl haircut anymore." I brushed my clean cut hair that finally revealed the legendary Ian forehead.