1.05

Friday morning was somewhere in between overcast and cloudy, the sun would appear for no more than a few seconds at a time and it was windy. The walk to school was uncomfortably chilly for Sarah who decided to forgo her coat in favour of a lighter jacket based on how the sky looked from inside her warm house.

It’s fucking freezing

It wasn’t. There was a breeze.

Who asked you?

I’ll pretend I didn’t hear that.

On the way to school Sarah would pass the small rows of houses on the edge of a housing estate in which Colin lived. After last nights favour she was certain he’d catch up to her the second she passed his row.

So predictable.

He didn’t.

Well, maybe he’s sick today. I know him too well, he wouldn’t miss such an easy opportunity to pester me.

A slight feeling of unease accompanied Sarah the rest of the way to school, Colin had given her the new email contact she’d been hoping for. He logged back into the chat after a few minutes, this time under the name “Fz€ro”, and gave her the address: m.fielding@port-s41.com which he assured her would find it’s way to the owner of the original email address. She hadn’t used it yet, preferring to wait till this evening to draft a new email.

“Hey Sar!” Shouted a girl wearing a beige top and a perfectly colour matched beige pair of shorts. It was the last Friday before half-term and that was usually a non-school uniform day.

“Hi Colette, today’s not a non-school uniform day you know.”

“I just saw Ritchie, he said that too, ah well if I have to go home and change that’s fine, I could do with missing half of Maths.” Colette smiled.

“Maths first period, on Friday mornings, urgh, we really got a shit deal with the timetables this term eh?”

“It’d be alright if it wasn’t for Mr Sawrey, he’s on a mad one. I liked Mr. Beech, he let us play with counters and abacuses and stuff.”

“Yes, I think that’s why he’s not allowed to teach GCSE Maths anymore…” Sarah remarked.

Colette said she’s already seen Ritchie this morning, maybe I should ask her if she’s seen Colin? But I don’t want her to tell people I was asking about him. That could be social suicide.

“We’d better get to registration.” She decided upon.

At 4pm when Sarah had got back home she started her email to the captain of the H.M.S. Resolute Victory. It read:

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing to seek your permission for me to have a work experience placement with you from 16th April till 27th April. I am a great team player and enthusiastic to work with you aboard the H.M.S. Resolute Victory. Please find attached my schools letter and permission slip which I would appreciate if you could sign and send to admin@ballortonschool.edu.uk if you decide to accept me.

Sincerly,

Sarah King

Followed by her contact information. After a proof read and retyping the first sentence a few times she hit Send.