1.08

“Here you go, you can call your Dad on this to let him know you’re aboard.” Captain Braddox explained passing Sarah a satellite phone. “Just press the green button and wait a few seconds before dialing.”

Sarah took the large phone, it looked like phones from the early 90s that she’d only ever seen on TV before.

“Thanks.”

After Sarah spoke to her Dad for a couple of minutes she passed the satellite phone back to the captain.

“Call him everyday while you are here, I usually have the satellite phone on me so come and find me if you have no signal.”

Sarah took her mobile out and quickly checked the signal. There wasn’t any.

“Thank you, I will, sir.”

“And none of that! Call me Archie.” The captain beamed. Adding a moment later “When the exhibition is running you can call me Captain, we need to keep up appearances.” He was still smiling.

“Of course.” Sarah was a little taken aback by his choice of phrase.

“Appearances” suggests that the reality is actually quite different. Ah I’m probably reading too much into it, I always do that. Sarah thought to herself while the two of them walked to the deck from the captains office.

The captain explained to Sarah what her duties were to be for the next 3 days. Today she could relax and familiarise herself with her surroundings and meet the crew, she’d also have to spend a couple of hours with the first mate learning some basic health and safety and sea survival best practices. Then tomorrow she’d be working with Jeremy preparing the ship for the special exhibition, which sounded like it would consist of many hours cleaning. Sarah was excited at the prospect of getting to know Jeremy better and hoped she could hold her nerve and not make a fool of herself. She was less looking forward to swabbing the deck. Finally on Wednesday she’d be working with the cook in the morning, pre-preparing some food for the exhibition, and she’d also be helping out with making the crews lunch and dinner. Apparently she would also be having a meeting with Captain Braddox on Wednesday about her involvement in the special exhibition.

I still don’t have a clue what the exhibition is about. I suppose I should’ve asked Archie, but something stopped me. Maybe he thinks I already know and that is the reason I wanted to work here… If I don’t find out from the ship’s first mate I’ll have to make sure I speak to Jeremy about it. It would be easier to talk to someone closer to my age and it would be a good way of starting a conversation with him.