Goodbye Normal

"Looks like they want you on a high fiber diet this week and your coffee has been replaced with milk" Emberly tried to hold back a chuckle as the aged man's face scrunched in disgust.

Today was the same as any other day at work. Help Mr. Davies with his rehab, walk with him and his Border Collie K.C. then set up his meal plan for the week. She honestly didn't mind assisting the 70 year old, it's not like she had to bathe him or anything that far fetched. When she originally applied to the Senior Living facility she was only supposed to be a receptionist, but then Mr. Davies got in a nasty car accident. A semi ran a red light and struck the passenger side, sending the tiny car spinning uncontrollably eventually striking a telephone pole. Thankfully he didn't suffer any life threatening injuries but he did break a few bones and his blood pressure sky rocketed staying high for a while. That was about two months ago though,he's almost fully recovered now and Emberly was actually glad they asked her to help him.

She's in a fit of laughter as the meal plan paper is snatched out of her hand and balled up. "Emberly, if I wanted to eat like I lived in a nursing home I would just go there" he retorted. As much as she enjoyed this little show though, it was nearing her time to leave. "Seriously Mr. Davies, it's for your own good. Once you're back to your young self then you can make all the comfort food you want."

She couldn't help but notice the small grin forming on his face as she said "your young self", which also led to him getting up to hug her. After the brief embrace she's out of the place and can't wait to be home. It's not that she disliked her job. It honestly reminded her of her grandpa who she loved dearly and greatly admired. He has done so much for her since she was 9. Her mom was growing sick and her dad became mentally unstable at the fact that his wife would no longer be with him soon. He was sent to a psychiatric ward before he could even say goodbye to his love. For a while Emberly and Grandpa would visit him but those visits stopped. Before her mom died, she discovered a little boy named Luke who was also able to shift. He came from a family of shifters actually, which was quite astonishing considering the fact that the ability isn't an inherited gene. This new child was meant to be an aid for Emberly, someone who could help her control the beast inside of her but very quickly became her bestfriend. That was long ago though,since then they have moved to a town in Washington so her tiger could have more seclusion and space to roam. Luke moved there too about a year ago and is doing very well for himself. For starters, he isn't the scrawny kid he was thirteen years ago. He's grown to be an impressive 6'2 with a solid lean build,and snow white dyed hair, which brings out his chiseled jawline and cerulean blue eyes,unfortunately for the ladies his radar,or gaydar, is on the hunt for men which his nightclub is literally crawling with every night.

As soon as she stepped out of the car her tiger began clawing,begging to be freed. It wanted to stretch and run through the nearby forest and Emberly could feel herself caving,seconds from giving in, but she's learned sometimes shifters must deny their animals' pleas which enables the human consciousness to have more control. Without it,the animal instincts take over completely and the human mind blacks out. But boy was it difficult sometimes. Thankfully the sound of the front door opening solves the dilemma for her,causing her lips to curl into a smile at the sight before her.

"Grandpa, I could've opened the door myself." She reminded him ,climbing the steps onto the porch. "I thought the same until I looked out the window and saw you standing there absentmindedly." He chortles. Once inside, Emberly swiftly went to her room for what was supposed to be a quick shower. The shower was literally her thinking place though,and she usually lost track of time when taking one. After what seemed like hours, she finally got out, wrapping a towel around her small and slightly curvy body. Now that the steam has disappeared from the mirror she could get a better look at herself. Ginger rich spirals hung past her shoulders and freckles heavily dusted her face. She honestly felt self conscious about the beauty marks,craving flawless skin instead. She desired flawless everything except her eyes, they were all she loved about her appearance but the normally piercing blue pools looked tired this evening as they did most evenings.

Throwing on some sweats and a tank top, Emberly heads back downstairs to spend time with Grandpa before he calls it a night. "Did you have dinner?" She was a little hesitant to ask but there were days he would literally not eat anything if she didn't cook or have it ready the night before.

He swatted his hand at her question as if it were an annoying fly that kept buzzing in his ear "Agh, don't worry about me Em, you already have to go to work and deal with that Davies guy". She rolled her eyes and heated up the left over pork chops and mashed potatoes, setting the hot food in front of him afterwards. "Well you're my grandpa, not him." She says a matter-of-factly.

The rest of the night was pretty easygoing. She and Grandpa watched a football game and shared some laughs before he went to bed. Now was Ember's turn to hit the sheets and her body instantly thanked her for it. As sleep began to engulf her a distant growl sounded from the frustrated tiger within.It has been caged in this human body for days and wanted out. Even if for a minute.

"Tomorrow..I promise.." Is all she can say before completely falling asleep.

Hope you enjoyed the first chapter! I plan to add chapters regularly so be on the lookout for those! Can't wait to see if the title to chapter one hints to something in chapter two!! I'm also excited about introducing Luke! Lastly,if you haven't guessed by now,pictured above is Emberly..Ember..Em, whatever you prefer to call her(the full picture may not show on mobile devices)