Five

"We've been cordially invited to Lord Kaeosin's twenty-second birthday ball, Ria."

I looked up, unimpressed at the announcement. Across the stretching table, Madam Callick read the gold-engraved invitation without much expression on her face. She handed it back to the servant and resumed eating her pastries. "I suppose we'll have to find you something decent to wear, though some time would have been amicable...."

"Pardon?" I asked. "When is the event?"

"Tomorrow it would seem," she sighed, clearly upset at the short notice. I blinked in shock; I couldn't blame her. To be invited to an extravagant event so soon before the actual date was...well, quite frankly insulting. What was Lord Telir playing at? Had it simply been a mistake? During my past few weeks of being in his company, I highly doubted he'd be likely to forget something as monumental as his own birthday ball. Due to the sparse amount of time we now had, that would leave us wearing older, less magnificent gowns, and literally no time to seek out a proper gift for his lordship.

"My lady," the same servant returned, bowing at the waist. "This came for you just now." He stood beside me, handling his sliver platter once more. On it was another gold-encrusted card with Lord Telir's seal on it. I grasped it and opened it immediately, reading in flowing words of an Altmer's handwriting: I'd be honored if you would wear this, my sweet girl. I looked up in utter surprise as another man brought me a package, elegantly wrapped. 

"Of the gods," Madam Callick fairly breathed. 

I knew it was rude, but I couldn't help myself. I opened the package, withdrawing yet another gown of bold black-and-white. It had a square neckline that would reveal my neck, a bountiful set of daring skirts, and a mask of black pearls to cover the upper half of my face. I stared, my jaw slack. It was a lovely arrangement to be sure, but...a highly bold gift of my soon-to-be.

"He's no sense of propriety, does he?" I mumbled, unsure of what else to say.

"No," Madam Callick even admitted. "But I do believe the Elven boy is merely acting out of passion, my dear. And to refuse would be a downright insult."

"Where is the ball to take place?" I asked, touching the delicate masquerade mask. 

"Apparently the neighboring city of Crouis," she stated. I wasn't surprised. I didn't blame Lord Telir for not wanting to host an event here in Riften. It was crime-ridden and not to his liking...at least that's what he said to me during our ride the other morning. 

"Well," I mumbled, setting the dress down. "I suppose I should pack."

"Yes," Madam Callick agreed in a soft tone. I glanced at her, aware her face was etched in a strange expression. She looked unsure of something, but before I could question her, she clapped her hands. Little Sofia came hurrying, curtsying beside the table. "Sofia, prepare Lady Ria's things. We leave tonight for Crouis."

"Yes, madam," Sofia said, scampering upstairs.

~

I stood gazing at myself in the mirror. I'd dressed in my traveling clothes and was pulling my gloves on. I'd retied my ribbon around my neck, finding I didn't trust myself to leave it alone anymore. We were to leave for Crouis in a manner of an hour, so I had Sofia double check for anything she may have missed. When all was set, I dared glance out the window. To my surprise, a pair of vivid green eyes accompanied by a cheeky grin stared back at me. I held in a gasp and did my best to smile gently at the girl.

"Sofia, go and eat something before we head off," I instructed. "Crouis is a few hours away and I do not want you growing faint in the humidity."

"Yes, m'lady," Sofia bobbed in a curtsy before leaving, shutting the door a she went. I hurried to the window and unlocked it, finding Brynjolf hanging as nimbly as a lizard. 

"Evening, Lady Ria," he grinned, flipping inside my room with grace and without invite. "Off somewhere are you?"

"Yes, to Crouis," I said, sitting at the foot of my bed. "Unfortunately I've a ball to attend tomorrow night."

"Unfortunately?" he echoed. "Not pleased then? I thought girls liked balls and dresses and whatnot."

"Not all girls do," I rolled my eyes. Truth being, I actually enjoyed balls quite a bit, but when they were done properly and not being held for the bizarre Elven man I was set to marry. But I decided not to say anything about that. For some strange reason, I didn't want Brynjolf to know about Telir. But why? This crude thief surely didn't care who I married. If anything, he was waiting for us to leave so he could raid our remaining belongings. 

"Don't look so grim, miss," he chuckled. "I'm sure you'll look quite breathtaking and win the heart of many-a prince there."

I smiled, but not out of humor. I watched him curiously as he walked about my room--no doubt eyeballing things he could take--when I sat straight. "Tell me, boy, about this Mercer Frey person."

Brynjolf froze and turned, studied me. "Why?" he asked, suspicion clear in his voice.

"You've mentioned him several times," I shrugged. "And I've been reading about you thieves."

"Oh have you, now?" he smiled, causing me to blush hotly. "And what have you found out, then?" I relayed my findings and to my utter surprise, Brynjolf listened to me. In fact, he was completely transfixed by my talking. Gone was his alerted appearance and here stood a man completely captivated by my voice and words. We spoke for longer than I presumed, and I finally grew quiet. Telir and I had spoken, obviously, but never about the things that mattered to me. It was always about the Thalmor Embassy, his wealth, or his accomplishments. But Brynjolf seemed genuinely interested in...well, me.

"You'd make a fine bookkeeper, lass," Brynjolf said at last. "I find reading a dreary bore."

"I love books," I announced. "I wish I could study at the College of Winterhold, but my madam says otherwise."

"A shame," Brynjolf murmured. "You'd make a fine mage, I'm sure."

I wanted desperately to tell him of my half-Breton lineage, but I felt that far too improper. Suddenly, Brynjolf tilted his head, studying my throat. I turned hot. "What is it?" I asked.

"You're wearing that ribbon again," he stated. "Must admit it looks rather nice."

"It was my madam's idea," I said softly. 

"It's what drew my attention," he murmured. "You've got a lovely neck, if I may say so, Ria."

We became engulfed in silence, the only sound breaking through was my beating heart. We had come close together, toe-to-toe in fact, and I stared up at him. His auburn hair was down then, brushing his shoulders and framing his handsome face. He bit his lip and I felt my body shiver in appreciation. I found it hard that a man could be so beautiful. 

"I should go," he announced suddenly, his voice cracking a bit. "I don't want to get you in trouble and a carriage just rolled up outside."

I felt my heart falling. I didn't want him to go. I didn't want that at all. "Come find me tomorrow night Crouis," I said suddenly. His eyes widened. 

"Whatever for?" he asked gently.

"Just come," I said. "I'll give you a pretty share if you do."

He just stared at me, unmoving and unblinking. I began to fear that I'd been too bold this time. I chewed on my cheek, but he gave me a sudden sweeping bow and I relaxed. "I'll be there, m'lady," he announced. And with a tug of his hood and a leap, he was gone into the night once more.

And to my utter horror, I realized he took a small piece of my heart with him.

~

Rate, comment, & subscribe.