31: El Adiós

Chapter 31: El Adiós

While the party went on well into the night - well into the next day in fact - Harley called it a night at midnight. Despite Ramone's protests, she went off to bed, Doc driving with her back to the clinic. He didn't go to bed, but instead he kept any eye on the party with Sheriff. The next morning, Ramone, Doc, Sheriff, Pancho, Francisco, and a few other men were cleaning up in the haze of the morning. Harley awoke with a big yawn. Seeing her blue hood, sure proceed for a moment, then remembered why it was like that. She chuckled at herself and looked around. Her gifts were scattered on a shelf that Doc had made for her. They're were seated right next to her other nicknacks she had collected over the years. They made he smile.

Slowly, she made her way outside and saw Miguel over at the cafe. Het expression fell when she saw that he looked awful. Cautiously, she drove over as other cars were deriving around cleaning.

"Hey…" she softly said.

"Hey…" Miguel replied with zero enthusiasm.

"How are you?" Harley kept her distance from him, and he didn't seem to mind.

"I feel like shit…" he mumbled. Not being used to hearing someone using swears, she she glanced away and awkwardly moved her tires.

"That, uh, that sucks.." she said, refusing eye contact.

"Yeah.." He said. Harley sighed quietly.

"When are y'all leaving?" she asked and he shrugged as he took a sip of black oil coffee.

"I don't know.." He said, Harley glanced over and saw that he had already gotten his blue accents painted back to lime green.

"Oh okay.." She felt awkward and looked away. "The party was fun last night, right?" she asked with a small smile.

"Yeah, but this hangover fucking sucks.." Harley looked away from him as he stole a glance at her.

"Maybe you shouldn't have gotten drunk then." Miguel scoffed. "Lesson learned, huh?"

"I'm never doing that again.." he said, but Harley knew better than to believe him.

"Yeah, that was kinda stupid of you to do.." She said a little more confidently, but it was quickly shut down.

"Oh, shut the fuck up.." he said as he rolled his eyes and took another sip. Rather than shying away, after a beat had passed Harley decided to stick up for herself.

"No." She said and turned to him.

"What?" he raised a lid at her as he looked at her surprised by the sudden fullness of her voice.

"You heard me. No!" She narrowed her eyes at him. "You treated me like… like trash last night! You were drunk and that was not okay!" She barked at him, earning her a few glances from other cars that were cleaning up around them.

"Harley…"

"Now you're sitting here suffering and all I want to do is help, but you don't want to hear it! You know what?" she asked while Miguel only looked at her with blank eyes. "Maybe you should go as soon as possible. And not come back any time soon…" she said holding her hood up with confidence.

"Fine then.." Miguel rolled his eyes. "You're just some kid from a small town anyway." he began to drive past her, not knowing he had really wounded the Cadillac. Sitting there hurt, she quickly shook it off and turning to project her voice right at the Camaro.

"This 'kid' is gonna have a name for herself while you are gonna be stuck in East L.A. doing cheap paint jobs!" She growled and he suddenly stopped and turned back around.