New Beginnings

A month had past since my mother died, and I had to go back to school or I would be left back. I did all I needed to; I went to the funeral and such. Now, I really had to move on, though the pain never left, I just learned to deal with it. My first day at yet another new school was the next day, and I couldn't be more excited. John came over for dinner with his daughter, who I had met a week prior, Rosamund; I called her Rosie. I got along with her well, and seemed to be smart enough to be my friend. She was around my age, only a year or two older and lived in a different town. However, that means she wouldn't be in my class, or even in my school, and it would just be filled with complete strangers. While John and my father were talking we were in my room talking about things like school and kids that lived around. I thought about that boy again and decided to ask her about him.

"I've met some kids here," Rosie said, "I didn't meet anyone that awful" she continued, thinking.

"Have you ever met boy who was about our age, a bit tall?" I asked, she giggled.

"That's not very descriptive" she replied. "What did he look like?" she asked. It was quite dark so it's a bit vague.

"He had green eyes and, I think, brown hair" I said, remembering. "Oh! And his name was Aiden" I exclaimed. She thought for a moment, the shook her head.

"No, sorry, I don't know an Aiden" she said, disappointed. "But if i meet one I'll make sure to let you know." she said, smiling at me. I sighed and nodded, then smiled back.

Soon it was time to eat and we were called to the kitchen, that had been cleared of any sort of experiment due to guests. As we started eating, John brought up school to make conversation.

"Are you excited for your first day back at school, Cecily?" he asked, cheerily.

"Of course," I responded, with the same cheeriness. "I love school, and it'll finally be something to do" I continued before taking a bite of my food.

"Are you worried about anything?" John asked. Sherlock looked at me then at him.

"What's there to be worried about, she hardly missed much" Sherlock interrupted, "God forbid she misses the lesson on how to not pick your nose" he scoffed. "If you asked me, she doesn't even need to go back" he said before eating some more. John smirked at him and I looked at him.

"Well to be fair, I do already know how to read and write; he's not completely wrong, I don't technically need to go" I agreed, as I looked back at John.

"Well technically, yes you do" he argued. "And if you're that set, then it should be a breeze and you can focus on making friends instead" he said.

"Exactly" Rosie chimed in, "You'll probably make a bunch of friends" she said, smiling sweetly. "I think you're quite funny" she added, giggling a bit. I cocked an eyebrow at her, considering I didn't think I was being funny. Sometimes I do question her intelligence, but she's the smartest girl my age that I could find; she will do for now.

"Can't she take a placement exam or something?" Sherlock asked, swinging his fork around slightly.

"Yeah, can't I do that?" I asked in agreement. If I'm learning the same things I already know, what's the point? John just sighed.

"Don't influence her, Sherlock" John groaned.

"Influence what? Her genius? Sorry John, I'll just have her eating paste and singing London Bridge till her I.Q. falls down" Sherlock bickered. Rosie and I tried not to laugh since John looked a little peeved, but a small chuckle slipped through and we both started giggling. Sherlock didn't find it too amusing, since he was serious.

"I just think that it would be smart to keep her where she is so she can make friends her own age; she can't just be book smart, she also has to expand on her social intelligence" John objected. "She can still learn new things at home if you are that concerned with her intelligence taking a toll from a regular education system" he sassed. Sherlock just ignored him and continued eating. My father and I grew a bit closer through the few lessons we've had. I actually enjoyed getting to know him.

Soon dinner ended, with no more arguments starting up after the first one. Rosie and John later left, so my father and I cleaned up. We started to clean the dishes; he cleaned, I dried and put them back.

"If you think it's boring here, you're not gonna enjoy school" he said as he cleaned a dish.

"Well I've been to school before, and I enjoyed it" I said, shrugging. I never learned much, but I always found a way to enjoy myself. "They have books and such" I added, continuing to try dishes.

"Yeah, like Postman Pat and Dr. Suess" he countered, rolling his eyes. He's right, I never really read the books there, I would usually bring books from home. I think the only thing I truly liked about school was that I would end up teaching the other kids what was happening. I really just liked being the smartest in the room.

"Well, what would you do in school?" I asked, not really knowing what to do or say; He ignored my question and continued to clean.

"We still need to get you some books" he said, remembering when we spoke about that a while back. I totally dropped my question and instead started thinking about all the books I wanted to read.

"That would be fantastic" I replied, smiling at him. He looked at me and smiled as he turned back, cleaning his last dish. I then dried it off, as well as my hands and then put it away. "Is that all we need to do?" I asked, looking around. He turned off the tap and turned around, picking up a throw towel.

"Um," he hummed as he dried off his hands. "I believe so, you can make your way to bed" he said turning back around and draping the towel by the sink. I pushed in any off chair and made sure they were perfect.

"Okay," I said, simply. Should give him a hug? Should I just say goodnight? I walked toward the hall, and just as I was about to go into my room I looked back.

"Goodnight, Dad" I said a little louder than my normal volume, not screaming. There was a pause, I had never called him that before. I know he's my father, but I just didn't feel comfortable before and we never really were big on being 'father and daughter'; we kind of just coexisted and spoke once and awhile. We were more like flatmates than family. I walked into my room and as I was about to close the door he answered back:

"Goodnight, daughter"    

((If you want me to continue let me know :) I'm soooo motivated at the moment!))