Chapter 9

Chapter 9

One week later I was released from the hospital, told I would be able to go to school if I chose to do so. Mom told me she had a hotel she was staying at, but she seemed hesitant to let me stay there. I asked her what was wrong. She sighed and explained to me and Derek, who stood at my side, “I’m not sure if you will be safe there. It was the only place I could find when I left, but I have this feeling that he could find us, and will try to. Besides, we still have to go to court.” I raised a brow in question. Another sigh, though in no way ashamed, “We’re getting divorced. I refuse to be married to a man that would do this to his own child.” I reached out and hugged her. I was so happy that soon we would never have to deal with him. Derek inquired, “Could it be possible for Aaron to stay with me? I could keep him safe with me and my mother until things blow over.” Mom and I looked at each other. I raised both brows in curiosity for her answer. She moved her gaze to him. “Promise me that you’ll take care of him.” He stared straight back at her with fury in his eyes. “I promise that I will never hurt him, that so long as he is with me, he’s safe.” She wrapped her arms around him, whispering a word of thanks. He returned the hug and said, “Always.” From there I rode to Derek’s home. Mom would bring over my clothes later in the day. Derek’s mother was sweet as could be, and when we got to their small brick home, she hugged me and said, “So long as you live here, you’re family. Even when you leave, you will always be a part of my family.” I smiled and hugged her tightly, more than grateful for her. She was very normal looking, yet had her own natural beauty, with long brown hair and pale skin that contrasted her son’s dramatically. I admired her, for this was the person who had given life to the love of mine. We stepped inside and I admired every inch of the home. There was a medium sized kitchen on the other side of the great room, which consisted of simple furniture. The house was a light brown, like dark sand that made you feel comfortable. Derek walked beside me and took my hand. “Let me show you where you’ll be staying,” he said with a smile that held a strange sort of glimmer. I nodded and let him drag me to a short hallway and into a dark room. The lights were switched on and I got a good view of my temporary home. There was a queen sized bed in the corner, a laptop sitting on a desk in the other corner, and a guitar set carefully against the wall. The walls themselves were covered in posters of various bands that I could just barely recognize. I glanced at him and said, without question, “This is your room.” He nodded, still smiling. “I’m not letting you out of my sight, so you’re going to be as close as possible.” I wrapped my arms around his chest and laid my head on his shoulder. Quietly I whispered, “I love you.” He placed his arms around my waist and said, “I love you too, beautiful.” A blush started to creep up on my cheeks, causing me to bury my face further into his comfy shoulder. He chuckled and kissed the top of my head. It was like a drop of warm water falling on my head, for the sensation traveled slowly down my body, making me shiver in bliss. Everything about him made my body erupt in joy and love. I turned my face up so as to look into his perfect brown eyes. He looked back at me with love that I never thought I would ever see. His lips leaned towards mine, silently asking, and I gave in without a fight.