Chapter Two: Pick Up Lines

Sebastian wasn't impatient. He stayed very still as I smoothed out my skirt in the car seat. I ran my hands through my hair. I let my smile come naturally as I set my right heel onto the sidewalk. He offered his hand and I grabbed it as I came to standing. The flashing of cameras was both familiar and annoying. Like an alarm or an old Miley Cyrus song.

"Sebastian, could you grab my basket and shield it with your coat?" He follows my plea quickly. It surprises me. Mostly male employees express some form of slowness to follow my orders. Especially when it comes to something they don't strictly have to do.

He walks behind me as I navigate through the crowd. I stop just before the double doors to the fancy condo building. The doorman looks very affronted to see paparazzi.

"I would like my express gratitude to all of you for making the trip for Bart's birthday. I would please ask you to step back as I make my way inside." I tell them as neutrally as possible. Being angry gets them a nasty headline, being happy gets them a different headline. Being seen gets me a small mention on page 3. Neutral and talking won't be much better than being seen.

They step back after Sebastian stares them all down. I suppose he is scary in a way. Black as night hair, icy eyes, black suit. I make my way to the elevator and press 18. He lives in a nicer apartment, but the same building.

This condo building is called Sterling Condos. Each floor up has nicer condos. The more you make, the higher you go. There are twenty floors. The twenty-first being an entire floor condo. You need a special pass to go to the top. Going from 14 to 18 in a year is unheard of.

"You seem impressed," Sebastian says conversationally. My head pounds at the disruption of quiet.

"More thinking. If Bart has gotten several thousand dollars richer, he must be expecting a more extravagant gift." My lips shape into a small smile as I look into his eyes. "Not that I'm too worried about the birthday boy."

"What are you worried about?" He asks after a heartbeat of pause. My head already hurts but I raise my voice over the sudden flow of voices outside of the elevator door.

"The other guests."

~~~~

"Jasmine!" The call is one that says familiarity, but the lack of nickname means not very much. I turn, smiling. Bart.

"Bart! Hello, how's your day going?" I lean in and air kiss both his cheeks. He's a manufactured friend. I didn't meet him on set, I just had his events locked into my calendar one day. My publicist wants me to look social and happy at all times.

"So much better now that you're here! I saw Alpha Jax and I died when you fell off that building! Everyone knows you do most of your own stunts." He smiles adoringly at me.

"Yes. It was a pretty scary jump, but the falling part? I loved that bit. Very exciting."

"So you're back? Everyone knew about that break you took. I was worried. You didn't even go on twitter!" The horror.

"Yes, I'm back. I needed a moment to myself. I've been acting all my life and a break seemed perfect while I had the time."

"Good for you! I'm glad you're back on the saddle." He grins and sets his hand on my lower back. Leading me to the snack table. "You hungry?"

"For your food? Always. I dream about those poached eggs of yours." Bart is well known for his cooking skills. He's a triple threat. Singing. Acting. Cooking.

"I didn't make any today. Want to sneak away and make some?" He looks very excited to ditch his own party and I nod with a smile. He looks very relieved to leave.