Chapter 8 ~ His Gloves - Part 1 || Split POV

In truth I hadn't been away from the fort for too long, but the atmosphere seemed tenser than before. You could feel it just by being near the gates that something wasn't right – or maybe that was my inner gut telling me these things.

     "Hasn't changed much, hm?" William remarked as we rode through the fort gates. I was sitting in front of him with my back to his chest on the horse, trying so very hard to not show a sign of emotion as some of the men – Benjamin's men – sat in one of the wagons while the rest walked behind us. They probably thought I was silent with horror, but I was silent with intention. I didn't want to be here, really I didn't.

     I said nothing in response as William dismounted the horse near the front of the main house of the fort they established here in Middleton Place. "Come, let me help you down." William encouraged as he held his gloved hands out to me. My eyes shot to my side to see the other men, men I fought beside, watching with fear that I would be harmed; men that had come to accept me relatively quickly in the short time we'd known each other.

     Biting my inner cheek I shook my head and muttered "I can get down by myself," as I managed to swing my leg over the saddle and slip down to the soil beneath me. "thank you."

     "Not a problem..." William's voice trailed off as he looked to the men in the shadow of the mid-day sun, obviously understanding why it was I was acting in such a way. As I adjusted my trousers, I looked up to him curiously. Ready for the next move. "If you'll come with me." William said as he took me by the arm. It wasn't until I looked from the men to William that I realized the change of his facial features.

     As he grasped my arm, tightening his grip steadily, I yelped a bit. "Ow!"

     "Wilkins." William called as he pulled me away from the horse as I saw the familiar face of a friend in uniform walk towards us with his helmet in hand.

     "Sir." Was his response as he held his gaze leveled with William, Colonel William Tavington.

     Taking a breath, the expression on William's face tightened as he looked to me then to the men. "Make sure you put them away."

     "What about... the girl?" James uttered, almost unsure of what was to happen to me.

     "I'll handle her myself." William replied with a strong sense of pride; his grip tightening still on my slender arm. James could sense my discomfort as I began to move around; tugging some this way, trying to pull that way.

     With a glance to me that pleaded for forgiveness, Captain James Wilkins bowed his head to William and parted ways with us, starting to shout orders alongside Captain Bordon.

     That's when I was finally tugged away and the shouting and rebelling began. They knew that Tavington would be a dead man at the hands Benjamin Martin if he was to hurt me and I knew for sure that if he did intend to do so that I'd be the first one to him.

     'He won't hurt you.' My heart screamed.

     'Be cautious, you don't know what he's capable of.' My mind screamed.

     They never did seem to coincide.

     As I was pulled into the house I heard my name called repeatedly until all that stood between me and Benjamin's men was a door and a man. It was a heart wrenching feeling.

     "Those damned men are so uncivilized." William remarked as he still help my arm after closing the doors. I continued to pull away from his grip until he shouted "Dammit girl what is the matter with you? Stop making a fool of yourself!"