Chapter 9

Tsukki looked out the window as he held the phone. He was in deep thought.

"We need to do something about these guys..." he sighed. "They're picking on Yamaguchi and it's really starting to piss me off."

"What do you suppose we do?" Daichi questioned. "I'm not letting you guys get into a fight."

"I have an idea...but you'll have to be open minded about it," Tsukkishima says in a low voice.

~~~~
It's the next day. Yamaguchi begins his walk to practice without Tsukki.

He said he was going ahead without me

He had something to do before practice

I wonder what it is...

Like routine, the few bullies came into view. Yamaguchi was immediately shoved into a tree.

"Sup, tranny. How's the eye?"

Yamaguchi looked down.

"Hey! I'm talking to you!"

The guy shoves him again. He sighs, thinking back to the other day.

I have to stand up for myself. Tsukki would want that

"Look, I'm going to practice. Leave me alone or I'll tell the principal," Yamaguchi retorts. "Don't you ever get tired being a jerk?!"

The guys didn't like that response. They looked pissed now.

"Why you little-" one of the punks says before being punched across the face.

Yamaguchi looks over and sees his friend Tsukkishima.

And the rest of the volleyball team!

They're all in...skirts?

"You're boring. Shut up," Tsukki says to the bully on the ground. He glares with cold eyes.

"Don't pick on our friend Yamaguchi anymore! You'll pay for it!" Hinata yells at them.

The bullies laugh.

"So what? The whole volleyball team is a bunch of queers?" one laughs.

"We're family. If you want to mess with one, you get us all," Daichi declares.

"I don't think your pride would last getting your asses kicked by a bunch of men in skirts. Why don't you run along?" Tanaka says in a scary voice.

"If you're really bothered by my friend wearing a skirt, it just goes to show how pathetic you are. You would rather waste your time bullying someone than doing something productive, like fixing that stupid look on your face," Tsukki says coldly with an intense glare. "If I catch you around here coming after my friend one more fucking time, you'll have more to worry about than someone in a skirt."

The guys seem put off now. They back up.

"Whatever..." one says before they leave.

"Hey. Nice going back there," Tsukki says to his friend, putting a hand on his head. Yamaguchi blushes and smiles.

"I think I finally get it...that hurting myself only hurts my friends...so...I decided I was going to follow your lead," Yamaguchi says with a blush.

"We're proud of you!" Hinata says, hugging Yamaguchi. This triggers the others to hug him too, including Tsukkishima. Yamaguchi begins to tear up.

"Don't cry. You'll make me cry...!" Tanaka says with teary eyes.

Yamaguchi takes in the warmth on his friends, smiling with tears dripping down his face.

"Thank you everyone...for loving me so much..."

~~~~
Yamaguchi and Tsukki sit in the park together, eating popsicles. Tsukki seems like something is on his mind. Yamaguchi looks over.

"Tsukki?" He asks.

"Yeah?"

"Thank you for being my friend. I don't think I would be as happy with myself if it weren't for you..."

Tsukki's cheeks grow pink. He looks away.

"The team is here for you too. I didn't do anything..." he replies.

Yamaguchi smiles cutely with a blush.  He leans on his friend's shoulder, eating his popsicle.

"I know you mean well, just in your own way..." Yamaguchi coolly says.

The warm wind blows softly against the teens. Tsukki puts a hand on  the freckled teen's head, leaning his friend closer to his chest.

"Whatever you say... Yama," the blonde friend says before smiling to himself. He looks down to his friend that's, essentially, cuddling him. He gathers some courage and kisses the top of his head. Yamaguchi blushes and says nothing.

The two sit in the last bit of the warm sunset.