Chapter 36

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
1 YEAR LATER
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
McKENZIE POV:
After months of planning and agonizing over every little detail, the day had come: my wedding day. There had been points where I had briefly considered forgetting it all and just eloping with Parker, but he always stressed to me just how important it was to share such a special day with his family and closest friends, and if there's anything that I know to be true, it's that I have the hardest time saying "No." to that man.

The morning had been a hectic blur of breakfast with my bridesmaids, makeup and hair for everyone else before it was finally my turn, one of our photographers we had hired for the day capturing these moments so seamlessly I almost forgot she was there. Almost.

While Madison, who was thankfully (and conveniently) a hairdresser, fixed my hair in an elegant half-up half-down style, I found myself thinking back on everything my soon-to-be husband and I had been through, and I began to get a little teary-eyed. We had come so far, and it always caught me off-guard just how much I had grown to love him.

"Mama!" My reverie was broken by a tiny little voice calling for me. I turned to see both of my beautiful babies, now 18 months old, dressed and ready for the big day. A smile crept across my face as I looked from first Logan dressed in an adorable little grey tuxedo, then to Harper, as she twirled in her red flower girl dress.

"Look, Mama!" she squealed, spinning around and giggling.

"You look so beautiful, baby girl. Come here, let me get a better look at you," I extended my hand, and she took it, toddling over to me with a huge smile on her face, her dimples more prominent than ever.

I cupped her small face in my hands, looking at the joy in her hazel eyes. She pushed her curly hair out of her face and giggled. I kissed her forehead, crossing the room to where Logan was seated on a chair in the corner, his little legs kicking in slow rhythm as he played a matching game on my iPad.

"Hey buddy, whatcha doing?" I asked, scooping him up and pulling him into my lap.

"Playing," he murmured, matching two cards with a cartoon tiger on them. I ran my hand through his thick curls, watching as his green eyes, identical to his father's, danced along with the movements on the screen.

"You're good at that game," I told him, watching as he quickly made two more matches.

"Yeah."

"Who taught you how to play this?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

"Daddy did."

"He did?" This earned a nod of his head. "Wow! Is Daddy good at this game?"

"No," Logan answered, a giggle escaping his lips.  I planted a kiss on his temple and laughed.

"Can I see that for a minute, please?" I asked, motioning towards the iPad. He handed it to me, and I locked the screen. "Harper, baby, can you come here please? Mama needs to talk to you and your brother."

She scampered over, pulling herself up into my lap along with her brother.

"So, I have a secret to tell you both, but you have to pinkie promise me you won't tell Daddy, okay?"

"Okay!" they both chorused, eyes wide.

I lowered my voice to a whisper, "Now remember, this is our secret. No telling Grammy, or Papa, or Daddy, or even your cousins, okay?"

They both nodded.

"You guys are going to have a little brother or sister!"

They both gasped, then turned to each other and laughed. The two of them often did things in sync, and they always found it hilarious when they did so.