Chapter 26

[Harry]

I gulped as I heard his footsteps coming closer to the kitchen where I was standing, facing the fridge. He was not going to be happy, I was sure of it. That was why I didn't turn around when he entered the room but stood still with closed eyes, waiting for him to open his mouth.

"What's going on?"

To my surprise, he didn't sound angry at all, just bitter. This had me frowning, and I turned around so I could face him. He was standing in the door frame, leaning against it while pinching the bridge of his nose.

"What do you mean 'what's going on'?" I asked, closing the fridge to focus fully on him.

He looked at me as if I were dumb. "You know what I'm talking about, Harry. Don't be stupid."

"Well, if you're talking about the fact that I'm dating Niall, then there you go. That's what's going on."

He let out a frustrated sigh and walked over to me so we were standing face to face. His intention was obviously to intimidate me, like always, but he should know better by now that I did not find him intimidating... well, not usually at least.

"But, why?"

A frown was still visible on my face. "Well, why are you together with Eleanor?"

"Because I like her obviously..." He said but didn't sound too sure if you asked me. It was as if he was trying to understand what I was getting at.

"Well, then I am dating Niall because I like him."

His jaw clenched, and he looked away from me for a second. "Why are you doing this? And to him out of all people? He's done nothing to you, yet you go around making him think that you like him, when in reality--"

I took a step forward, staring him right in the eye. "Sure, I may not like him as much as he likes me, but I'm trying here, okay? I might be mean and stupidly selfish, but I can't go around pining after you when you don't want anything to do with me, now can I?"

It was the first time in my life I witnessed Louis being speechless and a bit taken aback. He opened his mouth to reply, but nothing came out. However, it didn't take too long until he had collected himself... unfortunately. "I haven't said I don't want anything to do with you."

Well, that was the stupidest answer I could have gotten.

I raised my eyebrows, looking at him incredulously. "Are you even serious right now? The last thing I remember is you telling me that you don't want to risk your father hating you if he found out you and I are a thing."

"Well, yeah. Sure, but can you hear anything about me not wanting to do anything with you in that sentence?" He was refusing to make eye contact with me, staring at something behind my back instead.

I could feel anger boiling up inside me. "Don't you dare go that way. We both know exactly what I'm talking about. We have barely even spoken to each other since that evening, so I'm pretty damn sure what you told me meant that you didn't want anything to do with me, now don't you think?" I asked, looking at him knowingly.

He bit his bottom lip, and I could practically see how he hated being in this situation. I knew him, and if there was something he despised, it was being at a disadvantage.

He let out a sigh and finally turned his head to lock gazes with me. "Look, Harry, I know what I said was stupid, especially after kissing you and all that. I also know that I can't go around thinking that you will like me forever, but fuck, I can't help but get jealous when I see you with Niall, especially since he can't shut the hell up about how absolutely perfect you are. You know I'm trying here as well, right?"