Skype calls

Ray sang Skyscraper on her Skype audition with Holly, who was just one of the producers of Girl Band

It was a Wednesday. School had been let out at 2:10, and after rushing home from her high school Ray quickly changed and fixed her hair and makeup. Holly had sent her an Email the previous day. Included in the email was a description of what the show would be like and why they were interested in setting up a Skype audition with her. Holly had said how they stumbled across her blog and they were determined to find her after hearing some of the recordings of Ray singing.

After responding back to Holly's email saying that she was very interested in the show and that she would love to set up a Skype audition along with saying when she would be out of school Holly agreed that they would Skype at 3 o'clock the following day. This of course meant that Ray was rushing, which in hind sight may have not been a bad thing because it gave her less time to be nervous.

After changing her shirt three times Ray finally settled on wearing a pair of high waisted light wash boyfriend jeans and a tight black tank top. She wanted to be comfortable enough to keep her nerves down but dressed nice enough not to look like a slob.

Ray answered Holly's Skype call at 3 o'clock on the dot. Holly, who did not look anything like Ray was picturing, was not at all formal. Ray was picturing a blonde with a pant suit on, sharp facial features and a rude attitude, you know like the lady bosses in a typical movie. Instead the face staring back at her own was one of a young, plump woman with a round face, kind eyes, a light laugh and red lipstick.

Holly greeted Ray with "Hey Ray hows it going?"

"I'm great, sorta nervous though. I've never auditioned for anything let alone a T.V show, on Skype for that matter." Ray chirped back with a big smile and a laugh.

Holly laughed as well and explained to Ray how she would be singing a song that she had prepared. Holly also talked about how they were going to fly Ray out to LA if the audition went well. Along with the fact that it would take a few days after their Skype call to make a final decision on if she was going to be invited onto the show.

As Holly continued to talk Ray could feel herself start to get more nervous, but the good kind of nerves that just propelled you to do your best.

"Okay, now that I have explained all the crap that only sort of matters you can sing." Holly chuckled, then added, "Whenever you're ready, you can stand or sit or whatever, it does not matter to me."

"Okay, hold on then, I'll stand just because I will hopefully feel more confident" Ray replied with a nervous smile as she pushed the screen back so Holly could still see her as she stood.

After a second of Ray standing in her kitchen she awkwardly asked, "Do you mind giving me a little 3, 2, 1, that way I have something to go off of."

Holly, seeing that Ray was starting to get nervous, gave her a quick smile and counted down the numbers.

"Skies are crying

I am watching

Catching teardrops in my hands

Only silence, as it's ending, like we never had a chance

Do you have to, make me feel like there's nothing left of me?"

As the chorus hit, Ray could feel the nerves leaving her and it was just like she was singing in her kitchen, just like any other day. In her mind this was just a Saturday morning and her mom was cooking pancakes and she was goofing off singing any song she could think of.

"You can take everything I have

You can break everything I am

Like I'm made of glass

Like I'm made of paper

Go on and try to tear me down

I will be rising from the ground

Like a skyscraper

Like a skyscraper"

Holly could see even through the screen of a computer that Ray was going to be a force to be reckoned with, and would be the greatest audition to a girl group. As Ray continued to sing Holly could feel so much emotion in her voice and she loved it.

"As the smoke clears

I awaken, and untangle you from me

Would it make you, feel better to watch me while I bleed?

All my windows, still are broken

But I'm standing on my feet

You can take everything I have

You can break everything I am

Like I'm made of glass

Like I'm made of paper

Go on and try to tear me down

I will be rising from the ground

Like a skyscraper."

Ray finished the song and was brought back down to earth with the sound of Holly clapping through the laptop.

That performance was the first of many for Ray O'Connor.

'''

That is Skyler Samuels my fan cast for Ray, I'm going to TRY to put a gif at the beginning of each chapter 

-rko