Chapter Four

It's Sunday morning and I'm sitting at the piano at St. Peter's, getting ready to do my part and lead the choir for the 11 AM Mass. It's what I've done for the last couple of months. It's not that I'm overtly religious, I'm actually quite apathetic about the whole thing, but my late wife was, and she wanted Hope raised within her faith, and since Father Bob has been so good to me, I couldn't refuse when he asked me to play. But I must admit, ever since I've started playing piano here, I've at least been able to play for an audience, as small as this one is.

Father Bob is always quite quick to tell me how my playing has increased numbers at Mass. I don't know if it's true or if he's only trying to make me feel better but I'll take whatever type of encouragement I can get. While I haven't yet returned to the Symphony, for some reason, playing the piano at church is doable for me. Besides, it's only one hour out of my week. Surely, I can manage that. Mavis is at home with Hope, so I feel okay to be here today. But next week, I'm not so sure since she flies home to Barbados on Wednesday.

The hour flies by as it always does. After the choir disperses and the parishioners exit the church, I get up and seek out Father Bob. He greets me with that old familiar smile I've gotten quite accustomed to and takes me aside.

"Excellent playing today," he says as he always does. He's one of those encouraging sorts, always at the ready to buoy a melancholy soul. "How are you doing, Lyndon? How's our Hope these days?"

"She's doing well. As well as can be expected. Me, on the other hand, well, I find myself in need of your help once again. You see, Mavis is leaving this week and I have no one to look after Hope." I say Hope but I mean me as well. I can't cook to save my life and if left on my own, I'd surely starve to death.

"Yes, I am aware of that. She stopped by earlier this week to tell me. She's quite torn up about it but I suppose she has obligations to her family."

"Yes, Father, so here I am, once again. I have no idea how I'm going to replace Mavis. I couldn't have asked for a better helper."

"Listen, Lyndon, I know it's not easy but I think I may have someone who might fill the void."

"You do? So soon?" I ask, my voice conveying both hope and doubt.

"Yes, but, well, she's quite a bit younger and not as experienced as Mavis. But Evelyn is going through a rough spot of her own. She's a lovely girl and it hit me the other day when Mavis dropped by that this arrangement might benefit you both."

"Exactly how young are we talking? Father... I need someone with experience. Surely, you understand my trepidation."

"You know I do and I wouldn't contemplate it if I didn't think this was a good idea. Tell you what, leave it with me. Why don't I set up a meeting and you can interview her yourself?"

"I suppose that would be okay."

"Wonderful, I'll be in touch. Let me make a call."

"Sure, Father, I'll be waiting."

***

The minute I step in the door of my home, I get a call from Father Bob. He's arranged a meeting between Mavis's replacement and myself at 6 PM back at the church this very evening. I reluctantly agree. Mavis notices my hesitation and assures me that Father Bob knows what he's doing and to trust him. I eventually agree to go on faith because what else can I do at this point? I don't have time to go through agencies, and even if I did, the thought repels me. I had tried that already before Mavis and it had proven pointless. None of the nannies sent my way appealed to me. They came across so cold and clinical that I gave up after only the third one they sent. I couldn't do that to my daughter. She deserved better. That was when I had walked into St. Peter's shortly after Hope's baptism and found Father Bob. Within days, he'd sent me Mavis and from the moment she stepped in the door of my home, I knew I had found Hope a nanny worthy of her.

With my mind deep within my thoughts, I take my daughter from Mavis's arms and give her a tender squeeze. She greets me with a cheeky smile and for a moment, I forget my woes. She has that kind of power over me, my little cherub. She rests her head on my chest and grapples my hair with goober sticky fingers and I don't even care. I walk with her, patting her on the back until she falls asleep. I take her upstairs and place her in her crib for her afternoon nap.

Mavis meets me at the door as I prepare to return to St. Peter's and she sighs. She's just as nervous as I am but she doesn't want to say it out loud. I can see she is worried about who Father Bob has in mind. I wonder if she knows who it is. St. Peter's is a small parish community where almost everyone knows each other. Before coming to work for me, Mavis spent much of her time volunteering at church. I want to ask her if she knows who I'll be meeting with today but I don't want to bother her at this time. This lovely woman wears her emotions on her sleeve. Her concern is obvious to me which adds to my building trepidation. But I refuse to ask her in case it makes her feel guilty for leaving. She has every right to look after her own family. As it is, I feel blessed to have had her in my life for this long. I can tell it's killing her to be leaving us, so I give her a brave smile and step out the door and into my car.♡༻♫༺♡༻♫༺♡

© 2017 Whispers from the Heart by Maria Bernard. All rights reserved. ISBN: 978-0-9938067-6-6