Chapter Seven

I'm not quite sure how it happens, but I offer to drive Evelyn and Matt home. It's the least I can do. I feel awful that I can't give her the job but I can offer a ride home. Both she and Father Bob are disappointed and truthfully so am I. I wish I felt differently about it but I simply can't deal with all this additional stress at this time. As I drive I keep my eyes on the road and avoid looking at either of my passengers. Both are in the back seat of my car. I have already made the mistake of looking once and I nearly broke down and changed my mind. It was in the way she gazed helplessly out the window at the houses already lit up with Christmas lights. She would point them out but her little brother wasn't having any of it. Thankfully, the shelter isn't far and we arrive before suffering too much awkward silence.

When we arrive as per her instructions, I pull up in front of the depressing facility. There's a small wreath on the front door, a little sign on the gate reading, St. Vincent Society Shelter for the Homeless.

"Thanks for the ride," she says without ceremony. Before I can offer to walk them to the door, she unbuckles both of their seat belts and exits the vehicle. I nod and she shuts the door, takes her brother by the hand and walks up the steps.

I wonder how many other homeless people currently reside here. I find myself wondering how safe it is. I shudder thinking about it and have this sense of unease as Evelyn and her brother walk up the steps. I have a sudden urge to call out for her but I immediately put it out of my mind. As soon as they're safely inside, I drive off, feeling worse than ever.

The minute I arrive home, Mavis greets me at the door with an expectant look on her face. She doesn't even let me take my coat off before she asks, "How'd it go, Mr. Grace?" She is hovering around me like a mother hen.

"Not so well," I say and she follows me to the bottom of the steps.

"Little Missy is just fine." She pats my hand. "No worries. She's had her supper, her bath and is sleeping, bless her."

"Thank you, Mavis." I am both grateful and disappointed. I'm grateful that Mavis takes such good care of my daughter but I don't like the thought of Hope falling asleep without me kissing her goodnight.

"Tell me what happened."

"Oh, Mavis, I don't even know where to start." I drag my hand over my face. She takes my arm and leads me to the kitchen where she's most comfortable. She motions for me to sit and proceeds to put the kettle on. In Mavis's opinion, there is nothing a cup of tea can't cure. I sit at the counter and watch her while my mind races. Every time I close my eyes I see Evelyn stepping inside the shelter and I cringe. As if I don't carry enough guilt around as it is.

"Start with what you didn't like about Evelyn?"

I quirk an eyebrow at her, realizing she is already aware of who I met today. "Mavis, you know this girl?"

"Yes, I recommended her to Father Bob."

"Why didn't you just tell me about her first? Why go through Father Bob if you already knew her?"

"Because it is the proper way to go about it. That's how the system works. You know I volunteer there. I have spoken to Evelyn on occasion. Besides, the other day, I was just asking Father Bob about her, and well, you know, things happen for a reason. Turns out she recently lost her job and is currently looking for work."

"Well, you would have saved all of us the trouble and a whole lot of unnecessary guilt if you had simply told me about her first."

"What's that's supposed to mean?" She pours us both a cup of tea and I join her at the table.

"Well, she's too young for starters," I say frustratedly.

"Young is good. Especially for taking care of babies," Mavis says with a determined nod. "You forget you are young too. Young is a very good thing. Hopefully, she'll keep you from becoming an old man before your time."

"What the heck is that supposed to mean?" I blink in disbelief. Am I imaging things or is my fifty-something nanny trying to set me up?

"You know exactly what I mean. You're only twenty-nine, yet you walk around here like you're older than I am. Son, that ain't no way to live. It's coming up to a year since Mary died, and I haven't as much as seen you look at another woman."

"Mavis, really! Besides, that's not true. I have gone out a couple of times."

"With who? That woman from the symphony, the cold hearted..."

"Cecilia is her name, and, yes, she is who I am referring to."

"She's no good for you or your daughter. Trust me. She's only after your money, Mr. Grace. Soon as she gets her claws on you, she'll be shipping little Missy off to your mother-in-law and then she'll take you for all you're worth."

"Don't be ridiculous. We're just casual at the most. Besides, I would never give up my daughter."

"I'm just saying. I don't like that woman. I don't like the way she looks at Hope like the poor child's standing in the way of her plans for you."

"So, you're hoping I hire this woman-child, Evelyn, so I might fall for her instead? How much do you even know about her?"

"I know enough. I know she has a good heart, a good soul and I was hoping you would see that for yourself."

"She's looking for a place to live," I groan. "She's desperate for a home. She'll say anything to convince us she's the right one for the job. But I can't take her in like a stray and hope for the best. I'm putting my daughter's safety at risk. Anyway, she has a four-year-old brother. Did you know that? Suddenly, I'm supposed to take two strangers into my home?"

"She's going through a rough spot. That doesn't make her a bad person. The two of you can help each other."

"Oh, Mavis, I really don't know. What about the little brother?"

"Matthew, yes, I've met the child. So?"

"Well, there's something wrong with him. I don't trust him, and I'm not prepared to deal with all that. Besides, he hates me."

"Honestly, Lyndon, I'm disappointed in you. You should be ashamed of yourself. He's just a four-year-old boy. He does not hate you and he is not dangerous. Evelyn is trying to do the best by her little brother. How can you hold that against her? After all, isn't it just you and your daughter now?"

Sufficiently shamed and speechless, I sit and sip my tea as Mavis hastens to leave for the evening. Before she goes, she returns to my side and places a hand on my shoulder.

"All I'm saying is, give Evelyn a chance before you rule her out. Time's running out, Mr. Grace. I fly to Barbados on Wednesday. My last day is Tuesday. Bring her by tomorrow, and I'll show her the ropes. If by the end of the day, you're still not happy with her, well, then you can make your decision based on facts and not prejudices."

I nod because ultimately she's right. I'm being unreasonable and demanding. I should be more tolerant and grateful for Mavis and Father Bob's help for finding Evelyn on such short notice. I just hope it's not too late. Evelyn might not even want the job anymore. I'm sure I hadn't made the best first impression either.

♡༻♫༺♡༻♫༺♡

To be continued...

© 2017 Whispers from the Heart by Maria Bernard. All rights reserved. ISBN: 978-0-9938067-6-6