Inertia

Alex read quietly on a park bench, occasionally looking up to see someone throwing a frisbee to their dog or seeing someone run past. He was so engrossed in his book that he hadn't noticed something flying towards him. Alex yelped as a dark shadow fell over him holding a white and black soccer ball.

"That was close." Thomas' deep voice chuckled. Alex nodded with a red face from how embarrassed he was. He closed his book and put the book in his lap as he made room for Thomas to sit beside him. He had given the ball back to some kids and had a bright smile on his face.

"Kind of feels like you're my own personal superhero." Alex chuckled stiffly at the lame joke. "Um, what are you doing here? Not that I'm not glad you are of course."

"I go on runs every morning." Alex looked down and noticed he was indeed wearing sport attire. His running pants were tight and Alex felt himself staring. "Eyes up here, hon."

"I know!" He mumbled and made eye contact with Thomas. "Listen, I feel like I should at least take you to dinner or something because you keep, uh, saving me."

"Are you asking me out on a date?" Thomas teased, his hand very close to Alex's. One centimetre and he could feel those soft hands again. Alex nodded sheepishly. "I'm flattered." He forced a small frown. "But I actually already have plans."

"Really?" He sounded disappointed. "Maybe tomorrow then? I have work, but I'll ask my boss if I can leave early."

"Tomorrow?" Thomas thought for a moment. Dinner starts after six o'clock hits so most likely. He nodded, earning a large hug from Alex that wrapped around his body. He could breathe in his scent (vanilla and some sort of spices). He rushed to stand, running a hand through his hair that resulted in his hair falling down the middle. "Meet you outside the bakery?"

"Wouldn't have it any other way." Thomas smiled, watching Alex run off with a slight skip in his step. He stood, stretching a bit before walking back to his apartment. He had a lot of work to do and couldn't possibly have a date with Alex that night.

🌻

"Bad day?" Thomas asked, noticing the tired expression on Alex's face as he walked out of the bakery. He shook his head, lightly slapping his cheeks to wake himself up a bit and gave him a bright smile. The buzz of the afternoon gave Alex a warm feel.

"No, just a long day that's about to meet a great night!" He said optimistically. He looped an arm around Thomas' and they began walking. "Where to?"

"Want to walk around until we find a good place to eat?" Alex shrugged, seeming to now follow Thomas' lead. They filled the air with small talk. Talking about anything and everything, stopping to buy gelato before continuing again. Eventually, they were close enough to Alex's apartment that he just decided to cook for them instead of going out and paying for a meal. He did struggle with the keys, seeming to only do that whenever Thomas was near him, but he opened the door. Luckily he cleaned up beforehand just on the off chance that happened.

"You can take a seat wherever." He gestured vaguely, shrugging off his coat and putting it on a metal hook beside the door. As Alex searched through his fridge for dinner, Thomas looked around his apartment and familiarised himself with it. He had to admit, it looked better on the inside than out. "Do you have any allergies I should worry about?"

"Cinnamon." He replied. Moving to sit at the counter separating him from the living room and kitchen, he watched Alex work. He noticed that as he cooked his hips swayed to some imaginary song that only he could hear. He so badly wanted to reach around and hold him, never letting him go.

But that'd be weird. So he didn't. He instead waited patiently for dinner to be prepared and Alex poured them both glasses of deep red coloured wine. After about three cups of wine and half a plate of stir-fry, Alex was essentially tipsy. His cheeks were dusted a darker shade of pink and he held down small giggles. Thomas thought he looked absolutely adorable.

"Tell me this," He began, letting his fork fall down to his plate with a small clink. "Someone as cute as you is on a date with someone as boring as me. Why is that?"

"You're ethereal, Alex." He argued sternly, wiping his mouth with his napkin. His tone of voice made Alex sober up a bit, his back straightening. "You are an angel in a sea of mortals. I-I'm not remotely lucky enough to be on a date with you, but here I am." He gestured to his surroundings.

"It's like fate really wanted us together." He remarked. "Um, d-do you want to stay over? It's getting pretty late and I'd hate for you to walk home alone."

"Yeah, sure, yes." He rushed out. Alex chuckled and stood, wrapping his arms around his shoulders and putting a soft kiss to his neck just under his jaw.

"I'll meet you in the bedroom."