one

11 blocks.
11 blocks.
11 blocks.

It was like a mantra repeating over and over again in his head.

He groaned and rolled over on his bed, burying his face in his pillow.

11 blocks.
11 blocks.
11 blocks.

Three years ago, he never thought he'd speak to the boy he fell in love with again after they broke up.

But, early on a Saturday morning, he stopped by the coffee shop on his way to college. As he waited for his drink, he looked out the window and saw the boy walk by. His eyes had widened and he fought back the urge to hide.

His dark features were all too familiar and he couldn't help but remember how his hands were always rough on his pale skin, the contrast between the two always being something that he liked to compare to the way they made themselves act.

He kept his head down when the boy came into the shop and ordered, but he caught the kind smile he gave to the worker, sending a chill down his spine. His smile was something he had grown to love, and it almost felt like a punishment to see it now. To see that he was happy after three years while the pale boy was still stuck on a high school relationship.

He pretended to look busy on his phone, but his heart was beating rapidly as the dark featured man sat down at a table and waited.

The pale boy's name was called and he lowered his phone reluctantly, starting towards the counter to grab his order. He was trying so hard to not look at his old love sitting right there. He had perked up slightly when he heard the name but seemed to disregard it quite quickly.

He had shoved his phone back in his pocket, grabbed his drink, and hurried outside.

When the two broke up in their senior year of high school, his love had claimed it was because of college, but after three years of being apart, the real reason was obvious.

Their love was one-sided.
The thought had made the boy tighten his grip on his coffee cup.

Now, laying on his bed, he sat up and shook his head, as if he was trying to get rid of the memories and thoughts.

His window was open and the summer breeze seemed to be the only thing keeping him grounded. He had so many happy memories here at his parent's home and was happy to spend his summer here instead of in the city of his college.

He turned his head to the window.

11 blocks.
11 blocks.
11 blocks.

The boy he fell in love with had moved into a house only 11 blocks away recently. He found out he had moved in with a friend and had never even left the city for college.

He had a habit of walking everywhere, disliking the idea of driving.

When his friends confirmed his ex had really moved in, he had went for a walk later. He hated that he counted how many blocks he lived away from his home.

Last summer, he found a coat that had belonged to his high school love and didn't hesitate to sell it at a local thrift shop. He thought selling it really meant he was over him, but once he saw him again, he knew he was wrong.

God, he was so, so wrong.