Katherine Carter

(The song is "At the Beginning" from the movie Annastasia! It's very beautiful! If you have read this manhua, you would understand why I chose this song as the theme song! Plus, wrong info! Knight Fantastic Night, Qishi Huanxiang Ye, is actually a Chinese manga not korean. Sorry guys 😅)

"Bye!", I called out to my friends. My first day of second year high school was success! This is actually my third day into second year. I'm feeling feeling so proud to have achieved something.

The thing now is...I don't wanna go home. I don't wanna go home because...of her...My mom. Now that the school year has started she's gonna force me to do everything I can to get the top grades. If I get anything lower than a B grade, it's punishment for me.

Whenever dad is around, she acts like the best mother ever, but, when he's not? Her mood changes completely. I love my mom. I do, I really do. But, sometimes I need a break from her...

As I walked down a path I remembered something. 'Right! I'm supposed to go to the rental store to buy books for my history class!', I thought. Good thing there was a rental store nearby.

I went in and made my way to the book aisle. "What was our topic again...?", I mumbled. I opened my bag and took out my notebook. 'Topic...topic...topic-yes! Found it!', I thought. As I read it I came across a name. "Arthur? As in, King Arthur?", I wondered. "Task: find out about one of the most famous kings in history, King Arthur", I read aloud. "Interesting."

"Arthur...Arthur...Arthur...", I started mumbling. Until I reached a certain book I stopped. I took it out of the shelf. The title of the book was: "The Legend of King Arthur" I nodded my head. I sat down in a table in the store. I opened the book.

'Once upon a time...there was a brave prince who would soon become the greatest king in England. He had great aspects and many responsibilities laid ahead of him. This king is known as the great King Arthur! One of the bravest kings  in history...''

"This is more like a fairy tale than a history book", I said. I skimmed all the way to the end of the book and saw a little flap. I became curious and decided to open the flap. Inside was...a disk? 'Wait. There's something in the front...'

"The Legend of King Arthur..."

I had a confused and surprised expression mixed in one. "This is a movie now?", I asked, inspecting the disk closely. 'It looks new', I thought. "Might as well take it", I decided.

I went up to the desk front and paid for it. But there's was something weird about the guy in the counter. He looked at the book as if it was a curse...Like if it was an evil thing...But I took it anyway. He sold it to me. He probably just wanted to get rid of it. People these days...

Once I got home, I flopped down my bed. I heard a knock on the door. I hid my plastic bag containing the book. "Come in!", I said. And in came my mom.

Saige Carter, my mother, was a beautiful women. She had dark chocolate hair, slim eyes and body, beautiful thin lips, and a silky voice. Opposite from her daughter.

I had light brown hair and golden brown eyes, which of course I got from my father. I also had a slim body, and long legs. Nothing about me was special really. Scarlet is prettier.

"Katherine, dear, how was your first day at school?", she asked with a smile. "It was good mother...", I replied sitting up properly. She then took my chin and her smile faded into an evil grin. "Good. Cuz I know you're gonna make your mother proud of you. Just like last year...", she said in a silky alluring voice. Her glare was cold on me. Her light brown eyes on my golden ones. I trembled. "O-of course mother...", I replied. She let go of my chin. "Good." And with that she exited the room. I sat there trembling, on the verge of tears.

But I wasn't going to cry! Never! I promised myself to stay strong whenever father isn't here. I'll stay strong for myself and for the family name.

I calmed down and decided to do my homework. After that, I took a shower and went downstairs to eat dinner. "You're finally finished. Do you know how hard I worked on this food?! Now sit your butt down before the food gets cold!", she ordered. I nodded. "Yes mother..."

I say down at the dinner table. A delicious bowl of curry was laid in front of me. Along with a glass of water, cheesecake for desert, and a spoon. My mom and dad were both half Japanese so I would always say "Itadakimasu" and bow down like how a regular Japanese meal starts. And yes I can speak multiple languages fluently. My dad was a special doctor so he had to move around the world. And my mom was a well known lawyer and diplomat. And of course, I am, as they say, a rich kid. I sighed at the thought.

"Kathy. I'm going to work an extra shift tonight so you better behave yourself and study. I don't know what time I'll come home so if I can't make breakfast for you tomorrow morning just brew up something by yourself, okay?", she asked in a hurry. I nodded, "Yes mother..." She kissed me in the forehead. And before she went out the door, she turned around and said, "STUDY" I nodded. She left. And I started eating...by myself...again...like always...

I picked up my spoon and started eating. To be honest, my moms' cooking was delicious. I'm glad she still took the time to make me meals.

Once I finished eating I went upstairs into my room. I took the plastic bag containing the book and the disk. Instead of reaching for the book, I reached for the mysterious disk. "Maybe this is a documentary of some sort...", I mumbled. I put the disk into my DVR (I don't know what you call it 😅) and pressed 'play'.

When the screen turned on, I felt the sudden struggle to breath. It felt like everything was intoxicating. I felt light. Like I weighed nothing at all...A sudden bright light came upon me, almost like the gates to heaven we're calling to me...And then...