A Different Kind of Friendship

She was a nobody. A nobody without a home. A nobody without any friends, any family, any love. She lived in a shabby old building, abandoned years ago. The debris and humidity eating away on her life, her existence. She was alone. Alone with no one to take care of her, no one to even care for her. Her name; Kelly. She was hanging by a thread. A very weak and fragile thread, threatening to snap at any given chance. She didn't know why she did it, but all her courage she built up diminished within seconds upon entering through the large ominous doors. People stared. They always did, always do. But she couldn't help it. She never could.

No matter how hard she tried to look decent, they always starred. They always gave her strange looks as they passed by. Looks of pity, disgust, judgement. It was the look of carelessness that gave her these strange feelings in her chest that felt like her heart was churning. The girl, Kelly, slowly walked down the long and narrow hallway. She watched as people walked by talking in their groups, cliques. Some stopped talking all the way to take her in, judge her, then continue their business as if nothing ever happened. Many stared at her before turning to their friends whispering, their eyes never leaving her. She tried to fix her old jacket and brush the dirt off her ripped jeans. Her shoes had holes in a few places, showing years of use. She was a mess. Her dirty blonde hair was a mess. Her "home" was a mess. Her whole life was just one big jumble of mess that she couldn't seem to get out of. Try as she might, she always ended up deeper in that hole. She was always drowning and couldn't breathe. Did she know how? Probably not, like many other things she couldn't do. Add that to the list. She thought to herself. Engrossed in her own thoughts she didn't notice herself running into a boy until it was too late. Falling to the ground she rubbed her head and looked up at the person next to her. All eyes were on her, she could just feel it. It didn't take a genius to know that everyone was watching to see what would happen next. The boy in front of her frowned at first before looking upon her. He stared into her deep brown eyes as they were a mix of shock and confusion.